Double Checking - No Way to Recover Activity Data?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by powerbook911, Aug 6, 2015.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My iPhone 6 had to be replaced today due to technical issue.

I always back it up.

However, upon launching the restore I noticed the activity was missing. Furthermore, quick research and I found that you have to do "encrypted" iTunes backups in order for the Activity data to be preserved.

However, when I went to pair the old watch to the new phone, I was offered a "watch" backup that was AFTER I had wiped its previously paired phone. I guess the watches do some backups on their own, if they are on wifi?

However, the watch backup didn't have any activity data either, not even my same-day data. I'm guessing that the watch backups are stored in iCloud, but they don't have any of the health information, is that correct? The watch did restore all its face settings, etc.

However, ALL activity data whatsoever must be exclusively in the phone backups, which didn't keep on mine due to them not being encrypted?

In short, I should stop trying because there is definitely no backup of this activity data at this point?

Thanks for the help! I had been working hard this summer getting my exercise and activity goals every day. Lots of fun data. It made my workout tonight much less fun knowing I was starting over. The only bright side is I will be buying a 6S in a couple months and I guess this hiccup prevented me from losing an additional two months of data at that time. Although, I probably wouldn't have wiped my original phone so quick so I might have still had the original phone in that scenario to recover it from. Oh well.

Thanks.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

iCloud backups should include health data but if you don't have an iCloud backup or an encrypted iTunes one then you're out of luck

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Only way to get the info back would be get your original phone back to do an encrypted backup. Apple did this for privacy issues. They do need to make people more aware of this.

4. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks. Yeah, it was a BIG lesson.

There would not have been too many of us who would have had in a few years, activity data going all the way back to April 24, 2015 (launch day). A shame, but I guess I should have known better.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Like I indicated, Apple should make this VERY clear and it is unfortunately something most people find out after it is too late!

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Same thing happened to me. Oh well, will remember to make an encrypted backup next time!

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

They do mention it pretty clearly on the health app page here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203037 but I guess they could make it clearer on iTunes that if you don't have encrypted backup selected there then the backups don't include health data

I would have thought a lot of people would be backing up to iCloud (as it's offered by default when you set the phone up) so would be OK - iCloud backups definitely do include health data as my wife had to restore her phone yesterday and the health data came back when the iCloud backup was restored

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you saying if my iTunes backup is not encrypted, it will not back up the health data?

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's correct - Apple confirm that here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203037
    The latest version of iTunes also says "this will allow health data and passwords to be backed up" next to the encrypt check box

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of this. While my health data is somewhat meager, as I use the as yet unpurchased watch, I'll want to ensure that data is backed up

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It would be helpful to many if Apple would have a warning come up when after a Cloud backup or just before you backup with iTunes, warning you to encrypt if there is Health data present. Too many getting burned on this.

12. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Had to restore my phone this week and the same thing happened to me. Lost all my activity data right back to the launch day. It sucks because now I have to do all of my achievements and stuff over again. I wish I had known about the encrypted backups but in a way I'm glad I figured this out 3 months in rather than in a year when the iPhone 7 comes out. Would have been much harder to loose over a year of data.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They do clearly state this on iTunes, but I suppose what some members want is a pop-up warning.

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 7.53.27 AM.png

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you backup to iCloud you don't need to do anything special - they're encrypted automatically and include health data

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

All of iCloud is encrypted (backups included) and iTunes should just be encrypted too and then there would't be a problem.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The way it is now it IS a problem. Many Watch owners have made this mistake. I do agree that it ALL should be encrypted these days.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I suspect the reason iTunes backups aren't encrypted by default is that there's no requirement to be logged in to an iCloud account to back the phone up via iTunes so what would they use as a key?

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So the decryption key is stored in iCloud? In OS X couldn't it be stored in Keychain Access. Is Window's iTunes the weak link?