Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
LA
I REALLLLLY hope that apple puts this in the upcoming update.... This is the one and only thing I miss about my 3G.

headcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
How would they do that when you have to double click to get to the "multitasking" tray?

I don't have an iPhone 4 yet (or iOS4 on my 3G) but supposedly that is exactly how you can still access your phone favorites.

That's what I had heard on this forum too (back before iOS 4 launched). But I was disappointed to find out this is not the case.

But I have found some delight in the voice dial feature (coming off my 3G). I especially like how you can activate it from the lock screen just by a simple hold of the home button. This is almost as fast as unlocking, double clicking, and pressing the number. It satisfies me well enough, but I still would like to see the double click and hold...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Double click and hold hasn't worked since beta 3 or 4.

Just move your favorite to the dock (on the far left or right) and get rid of one of the apps that you use less frequently. Takes the same number of steps as double click and it's just as fast since your finger is already there after unlocking.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
That's what I had heard on this forum too (back before iOS 4 launched). But I was disappointed to find out this is not the case.

But I have found some delight in the voice dial feature (coming off my 3G). I especially like how you can activate it from the lock screen just by a simple hold of the home button. This is almost as fast as unlocking, double clicking, and pressing the number. It satisfies me well enough, but I still would like to see the double click and hold...

It was available on the early 4.0 betas, but not the later ones and not the final release. I would like this feature as well, but I'd like to use it for the camera. I hate wasting my home screen real estate for the camera app.

Just move your favorite to the dock (on the far left or right) and get rid of one of the apps that you use less frequently. Takes the same number of steps as double click and it's just as fast since your finger is already there after unlocking.

A) huh?? :confused:

B) What are you talking about?

C) if what I think you are talking about is possible, then that still would only allow for one favorite to be accessed....

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
C) if what I think you are talking about is possible, then that still would only allow for one favorite to be accessed....

Yes, for example, if I had double click set to open the camera app when on 3.0, all I have to do is move the camera app to the dock in iOS 4 and it's just as fast. The purpose of double click (at least for me) is to open an app quickly from the locked phone, useful to take pictures on the spot to capture spontaneous moments.

Before, it was unlock and double click (three steps in all). This way, it's just two steps (unlock and click on camera app in dock).

Yes, for example, if I had double click set to open the camera app when on 3.0, all I have to do is move the camera app to the dock in iOS 4 and it's just as fast. The purpose of double click (at least for me) is to open an app quickly from the locked phone, useful to take pictures on the spot to capture spontaneous moments.

Before, it was unlock and double click (three steps in all). This way, it's just two steps (unlock and click on camera app in dock).

yeah that's great and all, but in this thread we had been talking about your phone contact favorites....

And it still isn't as fast if you are within an application.

double press home button = 1 step

Easy... OR

close the app + press the icon = 2 steps
and unfortunately it doesn't work the same with the phone app, because you might have to close app + press phone + access favorites (could be on recents, contacts, or voicemail) = 3 steps

so could be up to 1 more step for camera, and could be up to 2 more steps for favorites. plus I don't have to think about where to press on the home button. if I have to press an icon on the screen I have to be more observant and press is a specific place. home button is just easier.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
yeah that's great and all, but in this thread we had been talking about your phone contact favorites....

And it still isn't as fast if you are in an app. Because then you have to close the app + press the icon = 2 steps

and unfortunately it doesn't work the same with the phone app, because you might have to close app + press phone + access favorites (could be on recents, contacts, or voicemail) = 3 steps

Got it. It would be nice if they bring back double click and hold.

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Well, somewhat of a workaround: if you put the Phone app shortcut on the far left of the dock, then at least you can tap home button to bring up the dock, then do a "slow double tap" on Phone app and you will end up at the Favorites. Yes, it's still 3 steps, but really it's less overall steps than otherwise since you don't have to move your thumb/finger between the last two steps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.