Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
This isn't meant to be an antagonistic question, but what is the point of the new Double-Click Home Button to open Apple Pay screen.

iOS8: DoubleClick Home = Read Fingerprint and simultaneously open to Home Screen

iOS9: DoubleClick Home = Apple Pay "Hold Near Reader to Pay" Screen

It used to be that a Double-Click on a sleeping phone was a nifty shortcut to get right to work but now its a shortcut to Apple Pay and I'm just not seeing where that is useful. If paying at a register then you want your phone off and terminal proximity is what wakes up Apple Pay. Its a very very fast process. So how is this change beneficial?

Thanks for any scenario explanations.

kyemaloy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2015
In iOS 9 wallet allows you to save your loyalty cards which an NFC terminal won't get to show up, so double tapping home lets you quick access your loyalty cards :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This isn't meant to be an antagonistic question, but what is the point of the new Double-Click Home Button to open Apple Pay screen.

iOS8: DoubleClick Home = Read Fingerprint and simultaneously open to Home Screen

iOS9: DoubleClick Home = Apple Pay "Hold Near Reader to Pay" Screen

It used to be that a Double-Click on a sleeping phone was a nifty shortcut to get right to work but now its a shortcut to Apple Pay and I'm just not seeing where that is useful. If paying at a register then you want your phone off and terminal proximity is what wakes up Apple Pay. Its a very very fast process. So how is this change beneficial?

Thanks for any scenario explanations.

You never had to double click on iOS 8 for Touch ID to read your finger and get access to your phone. You click once and leave your finger on the sensor until it unlocks. Same thing can be done in iOS 9.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
In iOS 9 wallet allows you to save your loyalty cards which an NFC terminal won't get to show up, so double tapping home lets you quick access your loyalty cards :)

and offers choice of payment card generally, i believe? doesn't apple pay use the default when simply activated by the NFC reader (because there's no time for intervention?)

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
This shouldn't even be a thread..but anyway, it gives you quick access to other cards...for example, my Starbucks card. They still have to scan it with there scanners. Double clicking the home button on a sleeping phone was just an extra step for you. You only had to click once...but Mlrollin already explained all this.

More than just loyalty cards, it gives you your gift cards and your rewards cards. Personally, I have this turned off because I really don't like the fact that if someone steals my phone, they could easily still go buy Starbucks as that card does not require Touch ID.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Didn't even consider this. Now it makes sense. Still annoying as it never works as expected when just using Touch ID to get to the home screen.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
It also allows you to "pre-authenticate". I.e. enable the phone to communicate with the NFC reader prior to the NFC reader activating the phone.

This is nice in the cases where the terminal isn't in front of you. You can start the process and hand the cashier the phone, then they can get within the required proximity of the NFC terminal.

Reactions: fatherfork

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
You never had to double click on iOS 8 for Touch ID to read your finger and get access to your phone. You click once and leave your finger on the sensor until it unlocks. Same thing can be done in iOS 9.
But you could click to wake screen, leave finger to unlock, click again to go to home screen (if you were in an app). Now if you do this trick a bit too quick you get stuck on the Apple Pay screen.

For me it's not so much this that annoys me as I never really used OP's trick, but sometimes I find myself on the Apple Pay screen after taking my phone out of my pocket because I accidentally click twice... Before it wasn't an issue.

Anyway, I know you can disable it, and I have now, but I personally think this may annoy more people than make them happy. So hope it's off by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.