Double click on the home button to get access to playback control

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alge, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Alge macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just found out that the black control (pause/play, previous/next, volume) shows up when you double click the home button. It does not matter in which application you are. It also works if the screen is locked!
    That's a nice feature. I am not sure if it was there, for the iPod touch 1.0?

Cheers,
    Alge

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

It was there prior to 2.0, but a lot of people seem to be unaware of this feature. I didn't know about until I'd had my Touch for a while. Also works on the iPhone.

3. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Its not a new thing. In fact its even in the iPod touch manual on page 32. :rolleyes:

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

This feature has been included with the phone and touch since their launches, it just amazes me how many people haven't heard of this feature.

5. Cammunicator macrumors newbie

But is the feature working properly with 2.0? I thought it was supposed to 'Close' the music player. In other words, get rid of the 'Now Playing' icon and close the playback screen. I'm sure that's what it did before 2.0.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Nope, if the screen was off or if you were in another app, it brings up the basic music controls (previous, play/pause, next, and volume). A double tap again brings it back to the app it was on before, unless if you had the screen off, then it just brings you to the standard unlock screen. This feature has remained unchanged.

7. Alge thread starter macrumors newbie

Non of my colleagues knew about it. That's why I thought it's new. Maybe I should check the manual from time to time. Even for Apple products. ;)

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Haha, it is cool, it is fun sometimes to find an amazing but hidden feature months after using the device.

9. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I didn't think it was included with the iPhone at launch. I thought it was added with the 1.1.1 update. It has been on the touch since launch however.

I really like being able to do it while the touch is locked. It's a great feature to quickly change volume/skip songs without unlocking.