Double click website word translation javascript

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by soonguy, Sep 6, 2009.

1. soonguy macrumors newbie

Hi

I've installed a javascript which allows people to double click on a word in a webpage, and give a definition in various languages. However, this only works in WIndows, and a previous dicationary script I used also only worked in Windows.

Is it intrinsically not possible to have a javacript do this in Macs? Is it also true that likely any second-language English speaker who is a mac user would likely have installed such a feature, that would do this anyway? I note on my son's new mac laptop that double-finger on the pad will open the installed English dictionary for a word.

Thanks for your advice

Tony

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

JavaScript works in Mac browsers too. It's possible the JavaScript you're using simply isn't well written, or doesn't handle Mac appropriately for some reason. Without seeing the script it would be hard to say for sure. Mac does have a Dictionary built-in and some programs like Safari can look-up words from within the program.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Maybe the JavaScript is not enabled in your browser, or the JavaScript file is not linked properly (path changes, name changes, incorrect declaration, and so on).

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My gut feeling says they are using IE-only Javascript.

6. soonguy thread starter macrumors newbie

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Both of those web sites worked correctly for me on my Mac using Firefox 3.5 and Safari 4. I double-clocked the word "media" and it showed me definitions in multiple languages.

8. soonguy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks! There must be something in my son's setup that is blocking it somehow. Javacript IS enabled.

If most people can get it, then that's good enough!

Best wishes

Tony