Double-clicking the home button to wake from sleep, or am I crazy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by reubs, Jun 15, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

This is a 1st gen, 16 gig touch running iPhone OS 3.1.3.

I've had to return two iPod touches already due to hardware failures, and I'm currently on my third one. That's what leads me to my question today.

I THOUGHT with my previous models that I could double-click the home button to wake my touch from sleep. For example, I pick it up in the morning, double-click the home button, and the screen wakes from sleep.

I just got off with an Apple rep, and he said as long as the home button exited me out of an app then it was doing its job and that double-clicking the home button has never acted as a means of waking the touch from sleep.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm remembering this completely wrong. As it stands, the only way to wake it from sleep is click the power button at the top, and THEN hit the home button. Clicking the power button once doesn't even wake it from sleep. My refurb warranty on this one is running out soon, and I don't really have time to be on the phone back and forth w/ Apple, so any info anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

2. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

For me, even pressing it once wakes me from sleep.

3. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Sleep is when you hit the top bottom on the iPod. Pressing the top button again or the Home button once will wake it from sleep.

To turn off iPod, hold top button and then slide to turn off. To turn on iPod hold top button for 5 seconds

4. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Right; I know you sleep it with the top button. What I'm saying is clicking the home button once, twice, or twenty times will not wake it from sleep unless it's plugged in. Also, I know how to turn the iPod on and off.

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

One click of your home button should be enough to bring your touch from sleep mode. I would try a restore and set up as a new device, if that does not work then go for a replacement.

6. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I did a full restore, and I'm still having the same problems. No matter how many times I push it or how long I hold it down, the Home button will not wake it from sleep. Also, the Power (or sleep/wake) button also does not immediately wake it from sleep.

I guess it'll be getting sent back...

Thanks, folks, for your help!

7. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I sent it in to Apple, and I got it back today with a note saying they could not replicate the issue and that their own diagnostics may have fixed the problem. Still, though, the problem persists. It's not a major problem, and I wonder if they are hesitant to validate the issue since this is the third time I've had problems with an iPod touch.

I can't get to an Apple store until next week, and my 90 day refurb warranty will be up by then.

The thing that doesn't make sense is that the home button functions perfectly fine while the display is on. It'll bring up search; it'll bring up controls; it'll exit apps. When the display is off, though, it won't do anything.

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Well, i guess if its not a major problem then you'll have to deal with it. :)

9. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Ha, yeah! Apple said it fell within their performance expectations, so I guess that's that. I guess as long as it eventually turns on things are all right.

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Yep.