Double format for external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ikermalli, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am going to be buying an external hard drive soon (Seagate FreeAgent Go 250GB 2.5" External Hard Drive - Black) and I want to double format... Or double partition it. I am pretty good with macs, I just don't know much about time machine and external hard drives. What I want to do is either:

A) Make a partition in which I can make backups, and make a separate partition in which I can store files

or

B) Make a single partition in which I can save back ups (from time machine) and my files (Music, Movies, Applications)

Also, would I be able to run Windows (XP) from my external hard drive somehow? Also, could I run mac applications off my external hard drive, is there a certain procedure?

Also, you can give me slightly complicated instructions if you need to, I know my way around pretty well (I like to think)

Thanks for help in advance
    - ikermalli

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can do this.

You can also do this, but I recommend using separate partitions so you don't end up unexpectedly running out of disk space.

Yes.

Yes. 1) Install, 2) Run. I have one of my external drives formatted to NTFS and I can still run Mac applications from it. In fact, it's where I install all of my games, Windows and Mac.

3. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! What would I format it to for the different partitions? Would it work if I just dragged and dropped the application from my applications folder, or would I need to find all the files (like the .plist and all that)?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Both to HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) if you don't need to access from Windows.

Yes. No matter where you run the application from, the .plists will go into ~/Library/Preferences.

5. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! If I made one other partition into windows, what would I format that to? I will just need it for quick stuff for a sony ericsson phone, so how large should I make it?

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Fat

7. spice weasel macrumors 65816

If you are going to be using this drive for backups, I would say just leave it as one HFS+ partition and use it for Time Machine. Then get another drive if you need it and put whatever you want on it. I'm not a fan of using my backup drive for anything other than back-ups.

8. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't afford it, if I could I would have done that.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I suggest formatting it to NTFS. Macs have read-only access by default, but you can enable read/write by installing MacFUSE and NTFS-3G.

5 GB ought to be enough if you're only going to be putting a few applications and no data on there.

10. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

For windows XP Pro version and the ericsson apps? How much space does windows itself take? I might need a few files like themes and firmwares for the phone though... so I guess 10 GB would be enough for sure then. Also, how would I boot from the external HDD?

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

He said he only needs it for a few small files, and since he doesnt even know what formats are then i would advise against this. Fat will do just fine. Also what if he wanted to plug it into a third party mac? Sadly this is really only for people who know what they're doing.

12. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can do things on a mac pretty easily, most stuff... It's just that I switched a few months ago, so I didn't know the formats I should use for external HDDs. You mean a hackintosh (third party mac)? I have a MacBook, no hackintoshes for me... mainly because I don't order online :p... I mean, hackintoshes are BAD

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I think kastenbrust was referring to other peoples' Macs.

14. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, sorry for all the n00b questions but what option is FAT or NTFS in disk utility? I got the Maxtor OneTouch 4 640 GB HDD

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In Disk Utility, you should see a MS-DOS (FAT) option under volume format. If you've installed the programmes I mentioned, you'll also have Windows NT Filesystem (NTFS-3G).

Attached Files:

16. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only get

Mac OS Extended
    Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)
    Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive; Journaled)