Double ID on itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ampicillin, May 20, 2017.

1. ampicillin macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I have been long time android user pardon me. I just got the iPhone 7 from my cousin but I am having a weird issue.

I have set up my own Apple ID in Facetime, iMessages and almost everywhere where it needed but when I am trying to sync in iTunes it shows my device email ID but at the same time syncing to my cousin's name and showing his old music library and voice memos. I can't delete them from iTunes. I want to set up my own iTunes library and delete all his music files from iTunes. PS. I have made playlist already in iTunes but it is not synching to iPhone despite adding my own apple ID on iTunes and iPhone. Nothing is synching except his old music and voice memo which I believe is already there in the iPhone when he gave me.

Also, in contacts section his all the icloud and other contacts are there despite adding my own apple ID and phone number. I don't want to erase all the settings if possible just would like to keep it this way.

Thanks

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You need to go to settings. At the top depending on iOS version you should see his name. Tap it. Scroll to the bottom and sign out.

3. ampicillin thread starter macrumors newbie

You meant Device info right? I already changed it. I have changed it to my own Apple ID and name. I have changed name, phone numbers etc all info as well as. I'm on iOS 10.3.1

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No you need to sign out properly. Ideally your sign out the reset the phone!

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What he means is that the previous owner is still signed in under their Apple ID. You need to sign that person out of every service they were signed in on. And then sign yourself in.

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Also, iTunes can only sync one iTunes library at a time. You need to make sure you are not syncing the same library as your cousin's.

Regarding the signing issue however, that is a bit less important in your case unless you have Apple Music. But I also recommend you to sign out your cousin Apple ID.

To clear previous sync, you need to cancel all "sync xxx" in every page, such as "sync Music", "sync video". Once cleared, go to your computer, check "sync Music", "sync video" etc. . iTunes should be able to sync your library normally.

7. ampicillin thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem now. I erased and reset the iPhone. Now all good. Thanks for the help :)
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    It's done. Thank you
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    I reset the device now all's good. I guess I had to anyway it's very complicated to set up iPhone the very first time. I think no matter what have to reset the device in order to function it like a new one. My cousins photos, contacts and music were all over the iPhone and couldn't delete it since I guess it was synced by iTunes on his laptop despite clearing out all the Apple IDs in iPhone. Anyways, Thanks it's working perfectly now :)

8. ericwn macrumors 65816

I would have simply erased all content and data, that way the phone is almost in new condition and you can set it up anyway you like, from scratch. Taking a half setup device you have no experience with and then fiddle around with existing user data on it was your way to complicate things.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Would that not have the effect of engaging iCloud Activation lock? Or at least if Find My iPhone is on requiring the old Apple ID credentials to be used?

OP would have been asked for that at least once somewhere and unlike being able to logout OP would have to give the credentials. Not hard to get if the phone is from your cousin as OP said, but still an annoyance.

10. ericwn macrumors 65816

Yup, iCloud activation lock is surely going to be a factor in some of these situations. Anyway, in the setup assistant of iOS, at the moment when it asks you if you want to restore from a backup, you're past the lock function. It's quick to figure out, and when you erase a device these days it prompts for the iCloud password too. If you find yourself in such a situation ever, the previous owner can disable find my iPhone via the iCloud website, nobody needs to give out their credentials to strangers here.