Double-Layer iDVD questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EngramAgility, Aug 8, 2009.

1. EngramAgility macrumors newbie

I am using iDVD 7.0.4 and OS X 10.5.8 on a late 2008 MBP

I am burning about 220 minutes of footage on DL dvds and find it takes nearly 7 hours to encode and burn. The burning portion only takes 30-40 minutes. I am trying to find out:
    1) if anyone else has packed a DL dvd full and how long it takes them to burn it.
    2) if there is a better/faster program available.

:apple:

Another thing i am curious about is if the warning that pops up when i choose to "Save as Disc Image..." is legit. It says:

"Double-layer disc image compatibility:
    DVDs created from double-layer disc images may not play well in some DVD players.
    >If you use a disc burning utility to burn a double-layer disc image, the DVD may not play well in some DVD players. For best results, use iDVD to burn double-layer projects directly to a DVD."

I wasn't sure if this was to discourage using iDVD for nice menus and then using some hack-job burning software or what.
    And how do you burn the DVD from the file that is saved?

:apple:

Last bit: I just burned 2 copies of the same Double-Layer DVD and both work in both my MBPs but my xbox360 will not recognize them. The discs are Memorex DVD+R DL. Also, any insight as to if these dvds will work in a regular dvd player (dont have one) or if i just have a crap game console that cant play DL?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Well for close to 4 hours of footage, a 7 hour encode time isn't too bad. If you got menus though this is definitely normal (even more so if you have "Scene Selection" menus).

I'm not sure of a faster program - iDVD has to reencode the footage as any other app would have too. I could be wrong but I'm guessing iDVD takes average time to reencode.

Regarding compatibility, most DVDs I burn work on most DVD players but my PS2 doesn't read my DVDs well. My DL-DVD+R also vary DVD player to DVD player. Different brands of DVDs, and apps will bring different results.

If you really want to try your luck with a different app, you can buy Roxio Toast.

Other than that, I would mess around with DVD brands and see what works with what.