Double Majoring

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stridder44, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've been trying to come to a decision on a major and have played with the idea of double majoring. My major originally was Communications, and had some interest in Business Marketing (or something along those lines). Is double majoring worth it? I know once you get out it's hard to go back.

Any tips/advice/thoughts are very welcome.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It depends mostly on the number of classes that overlap and how much work you're willing to do. With some plans of study a second major is only a few credits away.

3. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I'm currently majoring in Communication and getting a specialization in Marketing (not exactly a concentration, not exactly a minor), and a second major in French.

For me, I've found that it's not really so much extra work as it is making sure you can fit credits in, and sacrificing on electives. You may not be able to take a few "heck of it" classes and just have to focus on your two majors.

At the same time, my Communication major is twice as extensive as my French major (the French was pretty easy to add on, I only have to take 8 classes). It depends on your program.

I'd recommend working towards a major, and fall back on it being a minor if you can't work it out.

Good luck!

4. idyll macrumors 6502

Yeah, pretty much what mariah said... If you can swing it, then definitely go for it. It won't be any more work than you have now, you will just have to get your schedule worked out.

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Business and English

i started in general business in '80 (my school specialized in ag business) but i found the business major too general and not interesting, so i added english (creative writing) but had to drop it because for me it was too much

i later finished my bachelor's in business/hr and labor/employment law and found that a good fit as it was all wrapped up into one four year degree

it was like a double major but split the four years between business and labor/employment law so it kept me from getting bored

my math side got a workout in the business classes and my touchy-feely/sensitive side loved the human resources and labor law/crusader side

6. weazbert macrumors newbie

i have found that people will often use the dual major to mark a specialty in related fields. Of course people often will major in one passion and one pratical application as well, but that's not usually the norm. I dual majored in European History, and Russian studies. I did this because i knew i wanted to go to grad school for Russian/Soviet History. If a dual major will help you get where you want to go then do it, OR if you want to broaden your horizons, do it as well.

7. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i agree. I majored in b.s. biology (retain science background) and b.a. psychology (interesting/"fun" major) because i wanted to study what i wanted to learn and still have a practical major.