Double-press for Apple Pay causing iPhone to unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brookzy, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Hi guys

For the last few days I've had a really annoying issue where double-pressing the Home button to invoke Apple Pay is instead causing the phone to go straight to the home screen.

Is anyone else having this issue? I wonder if it's iOS 10.0.2 related.

(This feature is really essential for me, for example on the tube where pre-authorising Apple Pay before arriving at the gates saves a lot of time and annoyance for failed fingerprint scans.)

2. Floris, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

juts push it fast, i haven't had this issue, just need to tweak your method. Key is treat it like the old home button and be fast! best advice i got!

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

As long as you are using your default card, you don't even need to double press the home button. Just rest your thumb/finger on the home button as you put the phone up to the reader.

6. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

7. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Also, you can go into the Setting-->General-->Accessibility-->Home button and make some adjustments.

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I think the key is to not rest your finger on the button and then double click it. Go straight for the double click.

9. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 601

Brookzy

Probably a wise thing to go.

I'm pressing it fast as humanly possible.

As above, impossible to do it faster. And I have two iPhone 7's here, and it works fine on the other.

I know, but read my section in brackets. If you've ever use the tube in rush hour you'll realise you cannot wait more than 0.5 seconds when at the gate. It is essential to double-press and pre-authorise. If god forbid you get declined because of a sweaty finger after a horrible, hot tube journey someone will probably want to punch you in the face for delaying their day by a couple of seconds! :D

Tried that too, still happens.

---

After more playing around, it will work reliably if the screen is on while I double-press. If I double-press with the screen off, it goes straight to Home. This isn't happening on the other 7 I've got here.

I think I'll have to do a software restore. :(

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You have "Double-Click Home Button" enabled in Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > Allow Access When Locked, on both iPhones, right?

Try toggling the button off and back to on.

11. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 601

Brookzy

Good call, didn't think to check that. Toggled it off and on again and it seemed to be fixed, but now it's happening again.

I was expecting people to say they've experienced the same but as they haven't it must be a one-off so I will do a restore.

12. Brookzy, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

Brookzy thread starter macrumors 601

Brookzy

Update: I have figured out the issue!

For a long time I have used the triple-click Home button shortcut to enable the low-light filter at nighttime.

Disabling this shortcut appears to have fixed the issue.

This seems to be a bug in iOS 10.0.2 and I'll file a report.

13. RodDavies macrumors regular

RodDavies

Have your phone turned on. Wait for the teller to ring up your item. Point your phone at the terminal. Rest your appropriate finger on the home button. Don't push at all. Done