Double Press to Multitask

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trahearne, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Trahearne, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

Trahearne macrumors 6502

Just a random thought.

This feature doesn't seem useful by now due to the clumsy feel IMO, unless one desperately needs a snapshot of opened apps or to close an app. Particularly, considering the fact that you can only gain access to up to 3 apps in the app switcher without any swiping, taping once and opening from home screen sound a more viable approach - if one may fit all the apps involved in his/her main workflow in the same page. 20+ apps are free to choose from with badge counts keeping you up-to-date, and this saves you a press on the home button too.

Hope that there would be an in-built gesture or button in the Control Center to call the app switcher in the future iOS release. For iPhone, of course.

:confused:

P.S. did some late edits for more elaboration. sorry if this causes any confusion. :)

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I never use double tap, unless an app gets stuck and I have to "kill" it. I think it actually could be faster for accessing recent contact though.

It has always felt awkward for me to double tap. Just as strange, IMO, is reachability. I honestly do not know anyone that uses it.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Think of it more as a list of recently used apps, for when you quickly want to go between the last couple of apps you have used.

It's not the iOS version of expose, if that's what you are thinking.

4. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Does Apple really call this feature Multitasking??

Why yes, it seems they do : http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202070

That is an extremely loose interpretation of multitasking if you ask me. I can see why it would be confusing.

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I occasionally swipe all those open apps up and kill. Sounds like there is no need to do that. No memory/performance savings?

Still learning iPhone--:)

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I feel so bad for you. :rolleyes:

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Exactly like you said. You do not need to clear that out. The OS will manage what is running and what is not.