Double question about storage/sorting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JakobAloudMadge, Jul 15, 2013.

1. JakobAloudMadge macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a rMBP "13 and it's pretty new (a few weeks old), and I've filled up my hard drive way faster than I thought I would, so I thought I'd delete a few unnecessary items. I searched what items I thought I could do without, but instead of finding a list of useful items (movies, music, etc.) I found a BUNCH of webpages, as well as the movies and music sprinkled in. If you're confused, I attached a picture of what I'm talking about.

I also don't know WHAT is taking up so much space. Is there a good free program I can install that help like "ok, torrents are taking up so and so GB, music is taking up so and so GB" and so on, so I can find out what's taking up memory so I can delete it?

I'm sorry if these questions are really confusing, but I really hope some of you have answers :). Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. macNwindow macrumors member

try this before downloading anything. I am against downloading apps to solve problems...

click on the apple icon on the top left of your screen.
    click on about this mac
    click on more info...
    click on the storage tab.

hope that helps.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If you're on lion or later this will mislead you by reporting time machine local backups.

I've got an app at home which will give you details, cant remember the name of it off the top of my head. it is freeware.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

discinventoryX

Also, the local backups are _not_ a problem. They are eventually deleted, and the space is freed up if necessary.

5. macNwindow macrumors member

he says its a new 13" rMBP. ML comes default installation.

6. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

maybe you can try doctor cleanup, search from apple store :)
    it may can help you

or you can start clean install for MAC OS.

sorry if my answer make you confuse :D

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Also the WhatSize app is very handy in visualizing what consumes your storage bytes.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

While my personal feeling is that you're torrenting WAY too much Kylie Minogue be healthy for anyone, I'm a little confused what you expected to find there. The "web pages" are from your history and likely aren't taking up more than 20k or so on your machine at the most, videos, music and photos will take up the most space (in that order) so I would start there, even if you delete a thousand cached web pages you're not going to clear out more than a 100MB, max.

9. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Omnidisksweeper is free and might be what youre looking for.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

+1 for diskinventoryX and what size. Use them both just for this very purpose. Well, not really. I don't torrent Kylie Minogue

11. JakobAloudMadge thread starter macrumors newbie

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

It is frowned upon to bump your own thread here.

Freeing up disk space, especially on a SSD like the retina's has no effect whatsoever on performance. Unless you're actually running out of space, I wouldn't bother.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not just frowned upon but against the rules.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

Have you actually tried any of the suggested solutions? If you want more suggestions then provide some feedback.