Double Sided iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ArfurAnt, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ArfurAnt macrumors newbie

I am really hoping that an iPad Mini is released sometime soon but my ideal device would be double sided with an e-Ink screen on the back to act as an e-reader and save me carrying two devices everywhere. Each screen would be enabled depending on which way up the Mini was and battery life would be extended as a consequence.

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

right...and wheres the protective back when you put it down on any surface?

Sounds ridiculous to me.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

No need. It'll be so thick you can stand it on its side. :p

5. ArfurAnt thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of a booklet style case that affixed down one side that opened front and back; and I thought an e-ink display was only about 1mm deep which is not much more than the back of a tablet. If I could mock a picture up of one up I would!

6. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

4 screen rectangle!

7. JBazz macrumors 6502

Or make an 9.7" eink smart cover-ish add on. Sorta like the Edge reader, but make it so it powers off the iPad when attached.

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Yeah, the iCube 3D 4G LTE Touch etc. etc.: e-Ink Edition
    [​IMG]

9. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yeah, this times 1 billion.

10. JBazz macrumors 6502

The problem I see with Apples design is the electronicpaper screen is still behind glass. It will still cause strain on eyes (some are less sensitive to it). I have tried every trick I can to use my iPad as a reader; ie sepia, white text on black background, etc. but I still have issues with depth perception. Whether it is reflections or smudges, my eyes pick up the top surface and have to strain to focus behind that.

I just don't think Apple will every make a reader I can use. They are stuck in their own box and incapable of thinking beyond it.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's not 2 screens making the iPad double-sided though. That's a patent for a hybrid single-screen display that could switch between LCD and e-ink. The more accurate term would probably be "dual mode."