Double-sided print option does not appear on my menu

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by egrason, Sep 30, 2010.

1. egrason macrumors newbie

I added a network printer (HP Laserjet 2300) to my MB (OS 10.5.8) printer list and I can print single sided just fine. BUT there is no option anywhere in my print menu to print double sided. My two labmates can print double sided on this printer (one using MBP with OS 10.6, one a Windows PC). The menu on the MBP looks different and where I have the "reverse pages" option, they have a "double-sided" check box.

I have already:
    -Checked the Duplex Unit box on the printer info menu in System preferences
    -Looked at ALL the sub menus in the printer menu
    -tried to reinstall the drivers (current driver v. 4.3.5.153 - I suspect this may be the issue because the MBP that can print double sided has driver v. 16.something). Actually the HP site was extraordinarily unhelpful in telling me even what version of drivers I should have or getting me to a place where i could download.
    -Restarted my computer with various iterations of the above.

This printer can and does print double sided -just not from my computer because I don't have the check box.

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

It seems your printer is supported by Gutenprint. Perhaps their driver will allow for duplex printing.

[EDIT] When you set up the printer using the Apple-provided driver, did you choose the right one to support duplex? I think it's this: HP LaserJet 2300d Printer. (The d for duplex?).