Double Tap home button.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TomxHow, Oct 8, 2009.

1. TomxHow macrumors member

Hi there,

I have the iPod Touch 2G 8GB running 3.1.2.

When I double tap the home button it either goes into iPod, goes to the home screen or goes to search. I have iPod controls enabled below that also.

The problem I have is that when I was on 3.0.0 I used to be able to double tap the home button and the iPod controls would appear. Unfortunately, now this does not happen, even though I have the same settings enabled as I used to.

I use the double tap of the home button to open up the iPod controls frequently and was wondering what could be done for this to return as it used to be.

If I need to go down to running older software then how could I do this?

Many thanks.

2. Mew2468 macrumors regular

Yeah, before the iPod controls would pop up regardless of if you were listening to music or not. I'd also like to know if there's a way to put it back to how it was in previous firmwares.

3. TomxHow thread starter macrumors member

Glad to see I am not alone with this issue/question :)

4. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

That feature was removed in 3.1.1.

Although if you jailbreak (it always comes to jailbreaking), there's a tweak you can install called iPodPop which enables the double click iPod controls wherever you are.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Settings -> General -> Home -> Double-click the Home Button for: iPod

iPod Controls: On

Done.

6. TomxHow thread starter macrumors member

I have my iPod Touch with this setup already and it is not working. Spaghetti says it was removed in 3.1.1, sounds about right in terms of time.

Is there a way where I can go back to 3.1.1 on my iPod?

7. Mew2468 macrumors regular

That only works if the iPod is currently playing.

8. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Umm, I'm on 3.1.1 and I just tried double clicking home button while my ipod was playing nothing, and over the lock screen the little controls popped up, I pressed play and it shuffled my songs.

Still works for me..

9. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

You would have to...

1. Download a 3.1.1 firmware for your device. Google can help.

2. Put iPod into DFU Mode; connect iPod to iTunes, turn it off, hold power and home button for 10 seconds, then let go of power but NOT home button, then keep holding home until iTunes detects it in Recovery Mode.

3. Shift/Option+Restore and choose the 3.1.1 firmware.

4. After it all finishes, you'll be on 3.1.1. But you wouldn't have the double click iPod controls when not playing music. If you want that, it's in 3.0

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It semi works for me..
    Double-Click takes me to music if music isn't playing. Not ideal, as the old system was better by far..

11. Mew2468 macrumors regular

Oh, it still works on the lockscreen? That's good. I'm still wondering how to make it work while you're actually using the iPod - oh well. Another excuse to jailbreak :D.

12. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

Yeah, even if you're not playing any music, you can still double home click on the lockscreen and get the controls.

13. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

So I have a few games that have their own music. However, even if I turn that music off, it still disables my own music when I launch an app. How can I play my own music in these apps?

14. celticpride678

I feel this is a bug more than anything. Same issue here. It was a feature that was needed because of apps turning off the music currently playing for their own. Now, there is no way to make it play again.

15. TomxHow thread starter macrumors member

That's the main problem. Trying to play a few games while listening to music, the apps turn off the music and you're stuck with no way to play your music anymore.

16. dark-saito macrumors regular

Correction: Even if an app cuts off your music (and your music is no longer accessible but hitting the lock button then double tapping home button) you can indeed still listen to it.

Requirement? Apple Headphones with Remote. Just hit the button once and it starts your music again. Subtle ploy to get you to buy them? HELL YEAH! But oh well. We work with what we got :/

Just mentioning it since no one else has apparently.

17. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

that's not a problem or any bug. try this.
    play music, and stop. get back to home screen. double tap to home button. yay! music control is popping up!

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i get this aswell; basically when double tapping the home button it either goes to search or home screen with no music controls.

also, on 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 when i initially boot the ipod from powering it off...is it suppose to boot into the Lock Screen?
    I recall in 2.2.1 software it would boot/load into the Home Screen.....

20. edwina macrumors newbie

I miss that feature! I used it quite often pre 3.1. I'll try to jailbreak my iPod again in the future, my last attempt failed. =[