Double tap screen before recording video for WIDESCREEN mode, who else didn't know?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chodite, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Just saw in a thread last night that you need to double tap the screen while in video mode (before hitting the record button) to record in widescreen mode. HUGE help! Honestly had no idea before reading that post. Anyone else not know this until... just now?

2. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Holy crap.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea about this either. You'd think Apple would have mentioned it at some point, either in the Keynote or on the iPhone site? Unless I missed it on the iPhone site, but I doubt it since I scoured that thing in the week before release.

3. abcdefghijklmno macrumors member

Cool, never seen that before!

Same for 3GS?

A

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I noticed it right away..but only because I was tapping all over the place to test the focus feature....:rolleyes:

5. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

thanks so much for this. why the hell didn't they tell us?

6. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that it records in that mode either way, double-tapping just shows the way that it's displayed. Kind of like double-tapping video...it's been running in widescreen the whole time, it just doesn't display the whole thing.

UPDATE: Just checked it, and yeah, it records the same whether you're displaying widescreen or not.

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

8. vescaegg macrumors member

i was wondering why my recorded videos would always rotate to the wrong way when i tried to watch them!

9. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

10. peterjcat macrumors 6502

It records exactly the same whether you double-tap or not, the only difference is how it appears on the screen.

11. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

Wow, how did I miss this? Thanks for the tip.

12. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

13. peterjcat macrumors 6502

You're right!

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Again

DOUBLE-TAPPING on the screen does NOTHING to the final RECORDING.

It's only an "on screen" feature to show the full frame.

Did a test last night to confirm. Again - double tapping does NOTHING to the recorded file.

OP might want to change the subject of this thread...

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Agreed. It records in 16:9 either way, but the display defaults to full-screen rather than widescreen in the camera app.

16. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

17. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Positive?

I recorded a video last week, didn't double tap (held horizontally though) and the video never filled the left and right sides after exporting.

Double tapped and then recorded last night, filled up the screen post-export.

Leading me to believe that true 16:9 is achieved by double tapping the screen before hitting record.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Tested this last night - both files have the same exact dimensions. Forget how it looks on screen - look at the properties of the file.

19. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Maybe it depends on how you export, and not on the double-tapping. Syncing back to iPhoto gives 1280x720 whether tapped, not tapped, or tapped and retapped all the way through a video etc. Pretty sure it only records 1280x720 no matter what you do.

You weren't recording from the front camera the first time, were you? That's not widescreen (640 x 480 = 4:3).

20. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

This changes nothing about the recorded video.

21. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Thanks, but the double-tap is only mentioned in there for viewing already recorded videos.

I don't see a mention of using it while recording. Do you have a page number?

23. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I noticed this last week. It's only an advantage in regards to framing your video. When the phone is held horizontally it records at a 1280x720 resolution no matter what you do, double tap or not.

It's a helpful visual guide that does not affect the recording quality (resolution or bit rate). This is why going from still images to video zooms the screen a little. The still pictures are in a 4:3 ratio and the video is 16:9. In order to fill the screen while using video recording it zooms in a little. This just takes place on screen and doesn't change the actual recording in any way.

24. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

You're right. I couldn't find it either. But hopefully a helpful link either way.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

It's not listed as doing anything while recording because it doesn't do anything while recording.

For the same reason, the guide say how to play flash videos ;)