Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
Works good except when in a walking workout, listening to music from my iPhone on my AirPods. When I double tap it shows the symbol for Double Tap on the top on the watch screen moving back and forth but does nothing. I am guessing the Double Tap does not know if I want it to pause my music or my workout.

Also when I ask Siri to pause my music, I have to say Hey Siri for it to work as just Siri does nothing.

Reactions: nnc

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Works good except when in a walking workout, listening to music from my iPhone on my AirPods. When I double tap it shows the symbol for Double Tap on the top on the watch screen moving back and forth but does nothing. I am guessing the Double Tap does not know if I want it to pause my music or my workout.

Also when I ask Siri to pause my music, I have to say Hey Siri for it to work as just Siri does nothing.
There should be a setting to tell the Watch if you want double tap to play/pause or skip tracks.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
There should be a setting to tell the Watch if you want double tap to play/pause or skip tracks.

Mine is set to play/pause yet double tap did not work. Just showed the double tap icon at the top of my Ultra 2 moving back and forth.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
When I double tap it shows the symbol for Double Tap on the top on the watch screen moving back and forth but does nothing. I am guessing the Double Tap does not know if I want it to pause my music or my workout.

Did you double tap at the „now playing“ screen or on the workout data screen? On the workout screen double tap is not doing anything only on the „now playing“.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
It also doesn’t work in Spotify for Watch btw. Like everyone else has said it has to be on the “Now Playing” app.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
General and subjective observation after a few days of usage: disappointed. Had high expectations of this feature and in practice I do not like it.
During workouts, I thought it would help e.g. do mark splits during running. Not there, not available. As discussed here.
Ok, for pausing/skipping music during workouts, it is available. But what is the purpose if I have to scroll the screen to "now playing" and then be able to double tap? My finger is already on the screen then.

Also thought it would be good in dismissing notifications. Well, the default action for double tap is to scroll through notifications and in case of iMessages answer them. Not my use case. I typically want to glance what is coming in and dismiss it. Too bad one can not configure this.

As for the scrolling through the smart stack: well, 100% not my use case. Takes ages to flip through the stack and I rarely use the stack anyway.

Maybe answering calls is a good one. Did not have one on my watch yet.

Your opinion?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
^^I agree! The workout pausing was the part I was looking forward to the most. I don't use music on my watch so it only seems to really work with the smart stack. Still have to use siri for pausing and resuming workouts. Hopefully it will expand usage over time.

Reactions: NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
What I would love would be a configurable skip/pause button that is activated while doing a workout without having to scroll to the now playing screen.
I own an Ultra and can do a lot of things with the Action button when the watch is water locked. Except for skipping/replaying parts of my playing podcast. So whenever there are commercials in the podcast I want to fast forward over, I have to unlock the watch, swipe to the now playing screen, skip and then again water lock the watch. Could be lots easier with double tap.

Reactions: GlenK

Ndhusmc

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I upgraded to the Ultra 2 for the gesture to interact with notifications when my hands are full (e.g. snooze an alarm) and found it incredibly difficult to make the gesture be recognized. I get that the “roll over” of the wrist needs to happen before the gesture, but I end up feeling like one of the crab people from South Park before the gesture is finally recognized.

Reactions: adam1080 and NME42

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I use glucose direct through the calendar and a double tap brings up my blood sugar from my libre 3.

Up until 10 you could put it in a complication, but 10 broke the update period. I’m ok with this way though.

Last edited:

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I upgraded to the Ultra 2 for the gesture to interact with notifications when my hands are full (e.g. snooze an alarm) and found it incredibly difficult to make the gesture be recognized. I get that the “roll over” of the wrist needs to happen before the gesture, but I end up feeling like one of the crab people from South Park before the gesture is finally recognized.
No problems here. Can’t you adjust sensitivity? I have 210mm wrists and big hands if that makes a difference.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Once I raise my wrist I have to wait just a second until the face brightens then the double tap works fine.
Funny, I drink these Zevia drinks that come in an aluminum can and I pour them in a glass. When all the drink comes out of the can I have this habit of tapping on the can to get out the last few drops. That actives the double tap and my Smart Stack pops up. Just wish it worked on workouts.

• Haha
Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
For me, DoubleTap is looking like another desperate move by Apple to bring new features. Sorry but a disappointment to me. With out user adjustable settings DoubleTap is crippled.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Guess that this will not happen. Apple stated, that they do not want to control workouts with double tap.

See here: #93
Thanks, so we shall see what really happens, as I read your linked post I do not read what you’re saying (Apple does not want to … rather Apple does not yet know how to).
But don’t want to argue about this, just stating my preference

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
But don’t want to argue about this, just stating my preference

Something configurable would be best for all. But as we all know Apple, this is not really their way. ;)

Maybe we will see more gestures in the future and have more flexibity.

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Something configurable would be best for all. But as we all know Apple, this is not really their way. ;)

Maybe we will see more gestures in the future and have more flexibity.
Yes, configurability would be awesome, not only for this but so many other watchOS/iOS features … one can only dream ;)

Something tells me that there will be gestures coming when VPro gets released…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.