Doubt: Stay with radeon 450 or take radeon 460?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maccotto, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Maccotto macrumors regular

Guys i have macbook pro 15" with 450 and its fine.
    i read a lot of treadht where all take the 460 and are happy.
    Now i have a doubt if i need take the model with 460 and return back the 450.
    With 450 i tried some games and they work good (Starcraft and heroes of storm) . I tried lightroom and photoshop without problem.

QUestion: where i will find advantage if i take the 460? What are the really difference?
    Ad Exampl: i will have a better screen? I will have double speed for export a photo?

2. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

If you game or do graph intense stuff (video editing, high res rendering, etc), then YES you want to upgrade for sure. Otherwise, save your cash.

3. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

Whats your mean for video editing and high res? (ad example can i do full hd editing with 450 or i need 460)

4. imbadwithusernames macrumors 6502

imbadwithusernames

I bought a 450, and I'm going to start to edit videos, should I regret it? They will mainly be vacation videos, not professional ones, but I wanna give Final Cut Pro a try

5. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

I am happy that someone bought 450 model.
    Can you tell me hos is it?

6. imbadwithusernames macrumors 6502

imbadwithusernames

It's arriving tomorrow.

7. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

If you are already doing the tasks you need I wouldn't worry too much about more expensive versions. I think future proofing can waste a lot of money paying for things you don't end up using waiting for a future that usually doesn't come by the time you replace the computer for other reasons. Like usually people just flat out want a new computer before the performance of their old one really becomes any kind of issue. Just my experience, if you do keep computers for a really long time maybe but these add ons can get pretty expensive once you start going down that path. If you already know the machine meets your needs I'd keep the money. I guess if you game more though or do heavy video work the GPU is something that is worth investing in.

8. Sohappy macrumors member

Sohappy

I got the 455, fcp x and motion. I'm new to video editing and it's also for vacation and family, not professional. Choosing carefully your import options (optimize and/or proxy) seems to be the key to work smoothly.

9. AppleSmack macrumors regular

I have no useful answer to this, except that your username made me laugh!

10. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is : how many heavy is a video editing for need the 460 instead 450?

11. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I dont mean to be condescending in any way, but if you are asking this question you are not a pro video editor, and thus you dont need to upgrade. So... I honestly believe you will be fine with the 450.

12. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

I don' t make video professional but only photoslideshow and holidays video.
    I am a photographer pro and need export and work with lightroom and photoshop

13. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

^^ This, if you are working professionally in the aforementioned fields that require that type of work you should have a fairly good idea of what specification you are going to need to conduct your workflow on a day-2-day basis.

14. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

A question: can I upgrade video card with the new systems with thunderbolt video card ?

15. fs454 macrumors 65816

It's worth the upgrade to a 460. People on here are obsessively "don't get a smidge more than you'll need" in the past few weeks for some reason, but on a $2800+ machine you're going to want the 2x graphics horsepower in years to come. If my Late 2013 MBP had more GPU muscle behind it there'd barely be a reason for me to make the jump, but the 460 makes it significant. It'll remain a competent machine for longer, and on something of this price that's a no brainer.

If you're ever even remotely thinking about an external GPU, just get the 460 and be happy for much longer before you start diving into that. It's relatively unstable at the moment and not officially supported, but is doable with lots of tweaking, patience, money, and an external monitor. The Pro 460 is good for medium/high settings 1080p on most modern games, too, if your'e into that.

16. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

Thx .
    Why you speak about instability of 460? I though that last OS X patch fixed 460's problem

17. fs454 macrumors 65816

Sorry, I could have clarified a bit better there. I meant that external GPUs are unstable, not the Pro 460. I haven't had any issues on the 460 before or after the latest OS X update.

18. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Even 460 is pretty mediocre performance in 2016's standard, the upgrade isn't too expensive; so I would say just get it. Might grant you better resale value years after.

19. kis macrumors 65816

I second that - it's not really worth it. And to those wondering why people are going for the bare minimum that will carry their workload: these things are too darn expensive. It's that simple. I would always get a fully maxed MBP every 3 years or so, but this time I lack the funds and the willingness to do so. The budget (which is more or less the same as every time) will only get me a mid-spec computer. I had to settle for a 512gb SSD (my previous MBP had 1tb) and the 450. The SSD is going to hurt, the 450 is fine. If you do a lot of video editing professionally, the new MBPs really aren't for you - either get a 5k iMac or PC workstation. That's the main problem with the new MBPs and the reason why so many reviews call these "prosumer" rather than "professional" laptops. They're simply too slow and the 460 doesn't really change that. And they're massively overpriced. We've always had to pay a premium for the privilege of being Mac users but in the past, if you shed out a ton of money, you got a top notch computer. That's no longer possible as Apple no longer offers top notch computers, no matter how much money you throw at them. Instead you get emojis.

20. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

In my shop is 2xx€ the difference between 450 and 460 model.
    The similar prices is Applecare for 450 mbp :/

Today i will try to make some videoediting Fullhd with 450 and try if it work or go bad.

Give me your opinion when you will received it

21. fs454 macrumors 65816

Lol, the 460 is almost twice as powerful as the 450. Of course it's worth it - it's what makes the notebook competitive: more power than a PS4 in a 4lb, half-inch thick notebook that's half battery is impressive, regardless of the fact that there are other GPUs out there you would have rather had. Thing is, the 1060 draws more power alone than the entire MBP, so it never would have been possible in the first place.

The 460 GPU is flat out impressive for the size of the notebook, hard stop. It's for sure adequate for video editing - don't buy into the critics so much.

22. fraternihil macrumors newbie

I also ordered the 450 because the 460 is about 200€ more. The only reason for me to upgrade would be casual gaming, but the gaming performance of the 460 is --- for me --- not good enough (will need at least stable 60fps in games such as DOOM or BF1 in FHD) justifying the extra cost. Will stick to my desktop or PS4 for gaming.

23. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

Thx
    I won t gaming because a lot of games need windows and i didn't bought an Apple notebook for install windows.

I wish know the really advantage about 460 into vodeoediting.

24. fraternihil macrumors newbie

The advantage in for video editing is waiting a few seconds less while exporting a video. For people that do these things for a living, this time is of course precious. For casual video editing once in a while, the 450 will be sufficient. Keep in mind that you can also video edit on any 13" MBP which do not even have a dgpu!

25. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for explain
    When I export videos, I left my computer to work while I go out or I do other things