Dowgrade iphone4 from 4.0.1 to 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by foulmouthedleon, Jul 31, 2010.

1. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

First off, I've searched the forums for this but can't find an answer, hence this thread.

I went to ios4.0.1 on my iphone4 but I've decided I like 4.0 better. I can't seem to find a way to downgrade back to 4.0. Is there a way and if so, what might that be? I don't want to jailbreak my phone so if I have to do that, I'll just live with 4.0.1.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

have you backed up your shsh blobs for 4.0? if you dont you cant go back to 4.0

3. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I highly doubt it. I just synced with iTunes and then did a factory restore, but it's still 4.0.1.

4. anthdci macrumors 6502

if you havent used firmware umbrella you wont have your shsh, so your stuck with 4.0.1.

5. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

then no... search SHSH blobs to understand why.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

let's say I do have my SHSH's...can you post how?

8. ryno2292 macrumors member

Second tutorial here http://www.iphoneinterest.com/tag/tinyumbrella

1. Download TinyUmbrella 4.0.0.26 from http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
    2. Start TSS server
    3. Click on Display SHSHs, It will display if your iPhone can be successfully restored on not.
    4. Download the firmware you want to restore in case if you don’t have this.
    5. Open iTunes, press Shift + Restore
    6. Locate the firmware, you want to restore
    7. Now iTunes will try to verify signature, TSS server will make sure that iTunes get these signature from cydia server.
    8. After restore process is finished, you may get error 1014 or 1015. Specifically, iPhone 4 will give you a 1004 error, and if your baseband doesn’t match your firmware. If you get one of these errors, your device will be stuck in recovery mode. Simply click the “Kick Device Out of Recovery” and your device will reboot to the lockscreen, or activation screen, depending on the firmware you’re using for restore.

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

thank you! By the way, does anyone know if the upcoming JB is based on 4.0 or 4.0.1?

10. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

itll work for both. no change in anything really for 4.0.1 except the reception bars and to improve the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display.

11. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

tried that method out today just for the hell of it (didn't like the way the new bars look) and it works. Except the directions are wrong, when it says to hold shift and click restore, it should actually be hold option and click restore.

EDIT: yeah, after the backup, it gave me the error as well. I kicked the device out of recovery, then when it turned back on, had to restore from a previous backup. Otherwise, no problems. Thanks again for the guide.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not wrong.
    The directions were for windows computers, for Macs is Option restore.

13. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

oh, my bad I didn't even consider they'd be for windows. hehe. It seems like most of the people on the iphone forums have windows machines.

14. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Not quite ready to give up on this yet. My wife has a 3Gs with the 4.0 software. Do these shsh's need to come from my phone (I assume so) or will any do?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will need to come from Apple's servers. They're not stored on your phone and each file is unique to each iphones serial so you cannot use any shsh's from another iphone.

16. thep33t macrumors regular

the shsh blobs you are asking about are specific to each phone and each firmware.

Unless you backed up the shsh blobs for the phone and firmware you are trying to restore to, you will be unable to do it once apple stops signing the firmware.