dowgrading 1.1.3 guide?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by navysealrb, Feb 4, 2008.

1. navysealrb macrumors newbie

Alright I've been researching so much that I've gone through 10's of youtube videos and a ton of different sites saying different ways of downgrading 1.1.3 to 1.1.1. I'm getting my ipod touch this friday and I want to be prepared. So Im gona guess the worse when I go to walmart and guess the firmware Ver. is 1.1.3. So what I'm asking is can someone give me a guide or type one up on the latest way to downgrade. Some guides say just go into recovery mode by holding down the sleep and home button and doing it that way and others say that wont work. Can someone please give me insight. I've been searching on which would be the most easiest/safest way to do this but I cant seem to pick which one I should do.

2. elmo151 Guest

3. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

First you need to download a copy of the 1.1.1. I don't know if you can find it on the Apple site, if not google for it. If the firmware has a .zip extension, just remove the extension.

Turn off the iPod Touch. As it starts up, hold down the home key. iTunes will report that the iPod is in Restore Mode. Click the restore button while holding down the Options key. Select your 1.1.1 firmware file, and iTunes will restore your iPod Touch with 1.1.1.

4. navysealrb thread starter macrumors newbie

Can someone else tell me if this is the easiest way to do it? I thought you had to also hold the sleep button with the home button?

5. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Well, you have to hold the Power button too in order for it to turn on. As soon as you see the Apple logo, let go of the Power button, but keep holding the Home button until it is in Recovery mode.

6. navysealrb thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks.. I think this video follows on what you said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNuUW5JA1iI (dont mind the annoying little kid ;) )

and once I have 1.1.1 just go to the jail break me site and install appsnapp and bam. right? Also do I need a certain FW version for iTunes? I have 7.6 I think.

7. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

8. navysealrb thread starter macrumors newbie

I usually dont mind upgrading on custom firmwares (unless for psp since I need to update my custom firmware to use remote play) but what are the differences in 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 or 1.1.3

9. bodhammer macrumors member

Can't I just do the shift-click on the restore button on iTunes? Why does the iPod itself need to be in recovery mode?

10. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

These aren't custom firmwares. They are updated firmware from Apple. The Jail Break process adds an Installer application so you can add custom applications to the iPhone/iPod touch. The updates fix bugs and add new features.

I suppose you are right. iTunes will just restart it automatically to get it ready for the restore.