Down by the Dock (filling up empty space)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apfhex, May 28, 2008.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I like the Dock, but one thing that tends to happen (at least, if you don't have a HUGE amount of icons in it) is the bottom corners of the screen end up being empty all the time, with application windows generally being above it. I'd love to find something nifty that I can tuck down there. Preferably something that can sit below other windows and not be (easily) clickable. iCal events would be great for one corner; maybe iTunes or some other info in the other. I've tried Stattoo but it's not customizable enough and it also refuses to be placed below the top of the Dock. Other suggestions?

2. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

You could try GeekTool. It displays text/images from a variety of sources which you provide on the desktop. You can configure GeekTool to display info beside your Dock. Look at this lifehacker page for some hints.

I run GeekTool too, though I normally set my Dock to auto-hide. ;)

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I have iTunes info via GeekTool in the left and the small iTunes window in all spaces on the right.

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

This is not really the answer you're asking for, but have you tried turning on dock hiding?

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Why not position the dock at the side of the screen rather than the bottom?

6. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Correct, those are not the answers I'm looking for. :) I'm happy with my Dock as I have it, just looking for a little extra information on my desktop. Geektool could be fun. What I'd really like is something to display iCal events - I already use a widget, but something more brief/compact always visible would be nice.

7. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Try this hint: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060918145206393.

You will probably need to customise it to match your computer's settings.