Downcast and Syncing

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kfordham281, Jul 28, 2012.

1. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to move away from playing podcasts through the Music app on my iPhone primarily for playback controls that 3rd party apps offer. Downcast seems to be one of the best apps.

My question revolves around syncing of episodes. I want to keep the podcasts in my iTunes library on my mac and sync over certain unplayed episodes as needed. I do this primarily b/c of space on my iPhone and because I use my iPod as well to listen to some podcasts while doing yard work. Can Downcast, or any other app, sync the played/unplayed status back to my iTunes library? E.g if I listen to an episode in Downcast, can I sync that listened status back to my iTunes podcast library?

2. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

The answer is no. The podcasts stored in any of the 3rd party applications are independent of iTunes. There was one app that used the itunes database of episodes and was able to do what are seeking to do, but it was VERY clunky and downloading podcasts was thru the itunes app on the iDevice. Certainly not worth the effort.

3. kfordham281 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information! That's what I figured but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.