Downcast download excruciatingly slow??

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jojoba, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

On my iPod Touch (4g), Downcast is sometimes extremely slow at downloading, to the point where one episode can take ten minutes or more to download. This happens irrespective of which network I'm on, and Downcast on my iPad is much faster. If I leave it to download while I go have my breakfast or whatever, t also shuts down the download process very quickly, producing a 'background time out' message.

Anyone else experienced this/ is there a way to fix it? I'm otherwise very happy with this app, but when it decides to download snail pace it makes the app pretty useless for me.

2. ladysman macrumors regular

3. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

The slow downloads have been a problem for quite a bit of time. Aside from the UI laggyness (scrolling), the slow downloads is what caused me to move over to Instacast, which not only has fast downloads but also supports multiple downloads simultaneously.

4. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I've been checking out Instacast for the same reason, but I much prefer the interface and the search function of Downcast. However, if the choice is download or not download, I guess it will be download with the lesser interface... :(

5. LJ50 macrumors member

I only experience this on one specific podcast and across both devices. I have put it down to the source to be honest.

The ones I have from the BBC are pretty much instant in downloading on Wifi on either iPhone or iPad. Of the 3 non-BBC ones I subscribe to, only 1 of them is routinely very slow.

Different symptoms to yours it seems.

6. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

I hadn't really thought about it like that, I'm going to pay attention to see if there's a pattern. I don't think so, but just in case.