Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
If I have a 320 bit rate song encoded in MP3, and want to "downconvert" it to 192 for space or other reasons, would I be best keeping it as MP3, since it is the same format? Or will going to AAC be better, even in that case?

I know AAC has a reputation for being more "musical" when encoding from an original source. But I'm wondering if, since I would be switching from MP3 to AAC, if the sound gets "confused", and therefore is sticking with MP3 would be better.

(Yes, I know "double compressing" is not something I generally want to do. Just interested in opinions regarding this fact pattern.)

Thanks.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
AAC or MP3 won't really matter at all, there's going to be a severe quality hit either way. As for MP3 to AAC "confusion", I don't think that'll be a problem.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
AAC will have a slightly better sound quality at that bit rate according to the math gurus. But, they will both sound decent so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
never double compress!

I know! :eek: I mean generally, I don't. But needed to temporarily. And actually had already done it to AAC. I just was curious if it made a difference. Still have the original file.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.