Downgrade 2G iPhone OS 3.1.2 to 2.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trajen, Oct 23, 2009.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

I am on 3.1.2 and I hate it. I have been googling for hours and can't find a clear way to downgrade back to 2.2.1. :(

I deleted iTunes 9 and reinstalled iTunes 8.0.2, downloaded PwnageTool 2.2.5 and the iPhone 2.2.1 OS and created a custom firmware. Trouble is the stupid Native MMS 2G package in Cydia put my iPhone on a reboot loop. iTunes won't let the restore process happen, so I'm going to restore to 3.1.2 again and THEN try to restore to 2.2.1.

Pray for me. :eek:

2. boston44 macrumors 6502

Let me know if it works, I'm in the same boat.

3. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm back down to iTunes 8.2 with iPhone OS on 3.0. Every time I try to restore to 2.2.1 I get either error 1600 or error 20. I've tried both DFU and restore modes. :confused:

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Easiest way to downgrade is to search for and download pwnage 2.5. Start pwnage and let it create a custom firmware. When it's done, let it help you put the iPhone in DFU mode. When iTunes tells you it has found an iPhone in DFU mode click ok. Click option and restore and then point it towards the custom restore file pwnage created in your desktop.

I know you said you tried it but try it again and again. You are doing something wrong because it works. I did it myself a few hours ago.