Downgrade 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by diannamac, May 24, 2011.

1. diannamac macrumors newbie

How can I downgrade my iPhone 3G from iOS 4.3 to iOS 3???

I've been searching for several hours, but I can't seem to find the solution that quite fits what I need and that I can completely understand.

Here's the backstory:

I have a rickety ol' iPhone 3G running the latest iOS as of this posting. I don't really have a problem with jailbreaking, but I jailbroke it about a year ago on iOS 4 I think, and just ran into problems. It might have had something to do with the fact that I've dropped the phone so many times :) Anyhow, I firmly believe that with my particular phone's delicate constitution, it should ideally be running an iOS 3 rather than 4. It runs fine, but it's excruciatingly slow, and a bit buggy. Things are to the point now where I've put the sim in an old phone and I'm just using the iPhone as an iPod touch because I was having trouble getting calls on it. I would love do just buy a shiny new iPhone 4 and get a nice 2 inch thick case for it, but the budget hasn't really left room for cool stuff lately. I would really like to get back to using the phone part of my iPhone since I still have it.

I know there has got to be some way to get back to iOS 3. I jailbroke the phone on a computer I no longer have access to, so no SHSH available (whatever that is :))

I tried the how-to on lifehacker, but I guess the IPSW file won't work anymore because of the signatures (again, I don't really understand that phenomenon).

Any quick and dirty ways you geniuses out there can think of to get me back down to iOS 3?

I've been out of the jailbreaking loop for almost a year now, so don't talk too fast :)

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You don't need SHSH for 4.x.x to downgrade to 3.x.x for a 3G. You can download 3.1.3 from www.iclarfied.com

Put your iPhone in DFU mode then choose the 3.1.3 ipsw and restore.

3. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Hold on.

You can just download 3.1.3 for the 3G and restore as normal by pointing iTunes to the ipsw? iTunes still signs 3.1.3 and allows it to restore?

My Father in Law will be delighted.

4. diannamac, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

diannamac thread starter macrumors newbie

So far so good.

I actually did this once, but used the ipsw from a different source and got the error message:

The iPhone "iPhone" Could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.​

The screen was black which I have learned means that the phone was in DFU mode, not restore mode, which was proper, so that wasn't the problem.

However, when I used the ipsw from iClarified, it has now begun the restore process.

Hopefully it will work this time!

Here is the direct link to the ipsw list on iClarified in case anyone else needs it:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The 3G doesn't check to see if iOS is signed or not.

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Superb. So why are there so many 3G owners complaining about iOS 4 performance and their phones being "killed by Apple", if they can simply downgrade with ease?!

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Folder and more and more apps are requiring iOS 4.x. My wife is still on 4.2.1 because of that. It was so slow/crashy though that she let me work my magic (jailbroke it, removed all languages but English and Japanese [for emoji], removed crash logging & reporting services/font shadows and installed fakeclockup). Now it's a heck of a lot quicker, she gets to keep native folders and app compatibility and I gain major brownie points for my geekyness which is rare. Win/win for me :D

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

Just to point out again, DFU mode is never needed. Just hold shift and click restore. Forget the stupid DFU mode. iTunes does that for you. Always laugh at people who work harder not smarter.

9. diannamac, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

diannamac thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't exactly call it "with ease." I tried to just option-click restore and iTunes didn't like that. I did have to put it into recovery mode.

Also, I've been running 3.1.3 on my 3G for the past few weeks and, among other things, the touch screen does not turn off when I put the phone to my ear. Half the time I'm talking with the mute button on! I guess I should try jailbreaking again.