General Downgrade 6.0 > 5.1.1 with shsh.. getting 1604 error..

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
As stated in the title, i tried to do my downgrade to 5.1.1, i have my shsh from 5.1.1. I used red snow to stitch a restore ipsw and tried to restore. I kept getting a 1604 error.. not sure of the solution. :mad:

i tried using a different ipsw of the iphone 4 (cdma) 5.1.1 software and it still didnt work.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
As stated in the title, i tried to do my downgrade to 5.1.1, i have my shsh from 5.1.1. I used red snow to stitch a restore ipsw and tried to restore. I kept getting a 1604 error.. not sure of the solution. :mad:

i tried using a different ipsw of the iphone 4 (cdma) 5.1.1 software and it still didnt work.
I sometimes get that error.. I think it's a USB related issue. The only solution that has worked for me was to do the procedure on a different computer. In my case a cheap netbook from a few years ago worked when my more modern pc didn't.. I tried new cables, wiping USB controller from device manger, etc... Only the netbook worked (and this has happened more than once). It might be a path to explore for you, I hope it helps.

kim1406

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I was having same problem when I used redsn0w. So, I came here and I found this great thread about downgrading using snow0breeze, and I tried it and it worked without any error.

Here is the post for you:

Ok here is the simplest way to do it (after hours of trying):

1. Download the latest version of snowbreeze:

sn0wbreeze-v2.9.6

2. Download your 5.1.1 IPSW

3. Use Tiny Umbrella to back up all your device blobs.

4. Use Snowbreeze to create a "Custom IPSW" with your blobs.

5. USe Snowbreeze to DFU mode into your phone. Then go to itunes hit shift than left click restore. Pick your custom made IPSW from snowbreeze.

6. Done

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
from the iphonewiki:

Error 1604
Device was not pwned (signature checks were not blocked). Custom firmware can't be restored. Can also happen when there's a problem with the IPSW.