Downgrade Aperture from ML to SL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mhaddy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I'm really unhappy with Mountain Lion for a number of reasons so I've decided I'd like to downgrade to Snow Leopard. The only challenge is, my Aperture library is 3.x - something that Snow Leopard doesn't support. How can I downgrade my ML-version library for use in SL?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do not think you can bring a library "backwards". I think you have the following options:

1) Convert you library to "Referenced", keeping the organization the same as your current project structure.... then import them into your SL machine. You will lose any work you have done to your masters... plus your ratings, stacking, etc.

2) Restore your entire library from Time Machine, from a time before you upgraded to ML. Then re-import any pictures that you have added since Time Machine

3) Stick with ML

4) Wait for Mavricks... maybe you will like it better. If not, do options 1 or 2 above.

Personally, I would do #4... but then I do not like running on old versions of an OS.

/Jim

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Aperture 3 does work with 10.6.x, though the most recent updates may not be compatible. Do you have the App Store version or the DVD installer version?

4. Bear macrumors G3

But the library gets upgraded every couple of patches, so the odds are a library from the latest version of Aperture on Mountain Lion won't work on the latest version of Aperture for Snow Leopard.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The library has been upgraded due to the patching so I think you're stuck with ML. Wait until Mavericks comes out later this fall, maybe the short comings of ML will be rectified with the newer OS.

6. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

@chrfr, as @Bear pointed out, it's because my library has been upgraded past SL support and there's no way back.

Exporting and importing isn't an option due to the number of photos and data I have, so it looks like I have to hold out for Mavericks.

Wonder if its worth dropping $99 now to get developer access to a pre release build lol. I've got another thread open that describes my issue in more detail, but it's mainly system instability that is making me want to downgrade.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't spend 100 dollars to get early (and buggy) access to an OS that will cost you $30 (or there abouts of)

I'm not down on Mavericks but being beta its not really ready for prime time and it will be released soon enough.

Patience grass hopper :D

8. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Haha, I know, I know! Well to help stem the tide, how can I disable CMD+Q? This is what causes my system to have "sticky keys" as I refer to it and forces me to hard boot the computer. Grrr.