Downgrade from 6.1

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by charlenee, Apr 10, 2014.

1. charlenee macrumors newbie

I want to downgrade my Apple TV 3 from 6.1 to 6.0.2. But when I connect the device to iTunes and select .ipsw I get an error saying: "Could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible". Is there anything I can try to get past this? Or it is not possible to downgrade at all?

2. cyber16 macrumors 6502

You cannot downgrade a ATV3
    You can on a ATV2 if you saved the SHSHs
    No posible in your case.

3. Equestris macrumors newbie

Equestris

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

when you install software on the aTV, it checks in with apple to make sure it can install that software. Apple typically only "signs" one version at a time, so the current version, and sometimes for a few days after the new release the previous version, but that doesn't last long.

so doesn't matter what version of hardware you have, if apple is no longer signing the version you want to install, you're out of luck.

the SHSH blobs that cyber mentioned are the info that is generated by apple signing that version of firmware and saves it, they are specific to an individual device and version of software. Currently you can only access/use them on the aTV 2, and you would have had to save them when you had the old software installed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHSH_blob

5. chrfr macrumors 603

If you have the earlier version of Apple TV 3, you CAN downgrade as Apple is still signing older firmware, but only one specific build.
    If you have the latest version of the Apple TV 3, which is labeled as model A1469, you cannot downgrade.
    Details are in this post:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18937063&postcount=16