Downgrade from 7.5.2 to 7.5.1

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ianou, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ianou macrumors newbie

I just upgraded the firmware on my Airport Extreme Base Station, and one of the external drives that was connected to it isn't recognized any more. I'm trying to find the 7.5.1 firmware file to downgrade, but no success. Since it came with 7.5.1 pre-installed, the only file in my ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort directory is 7.5.2.

Can anyone upload it or send it to me?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Select your base station in the Airport Utility and go to the Base Station Menu bar. In that bar select Upload Firmware. Then select the version you want, it'll download it and reflash the version you want.

3. ianou thread starter macrumors newbie

4. revco macrumors newbie

7.5.2 > 7.5.1

Flashed my AE yesterday w 7.5.2 and now it just flashes amber. Reset it, reapplied the firmware. Nothing. Given I can't connect with it to revert to previous version, where does one download 7.5.1 basebinary to manually revert?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no way to manually download the Airport firmware. The only way is in the post above.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme Base Station Firmware Update 7.5.1

All about Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Express base station firmware updates

7. revco macrumors newbie

/user/library/application support/apple/airport/firmware/version.xml.

Open the xml and you'll find it has urls to previous basebinaries.

Downloaded 7.5.1 via the above method and my AE is working again.

8. revco macrumors newbie

9. lrucker macrumors newbie

The path is incorrect; try

"~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware/version.xml"

"~" is the Home icon in the Finder, if you aren't Unix-savvy.

10. jw2002 macrumors 6502

It looks like 7.5.2 breaks mDns because after the upgrade shared devices would occasionally disappear and services like screen sharing and remote volume mounting became extremely slow at connecting. Downgrading back to 7.4.2 (on my Time Capsule) fixed the problem.

11. gumbyx84, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Which version?

I just ran into this problem. I looked in versions.xml but there are at min 2 different versions of 7.5.1. One

Code:
    <key>location</key>
    			<string>http://apsu.apple.com/data/114/061-7885.20100331.bsbyr/7.5.1.basebinary</string>
    			<key>productID</key>
    			<string>114</string>
    			<key>version</key>
    			<string>7.5.1</string>
    			<key>sourceVersion</key>
    			<string>75100.14</string>
    			<key>sizeInBytes</key>
    			<integer>6291224</integer>
    and

Code:
    <key>location</key>
    			<string>http://apsu.apple.com/data/113/061-7886.20100331.Frgtg/7.5.1.basebinary</string>
    			<key>productID</key>
    			<string>113</string>
    			<key>version</key>
    			<string>7.5.1</string>
    			<key>sourceVersion</key>
    			<string>75100.14</string>
    			<key>sizeInBytes</key>
    			<integer>6340332</integer>
    Which is the correct URL? I don't want to try one and have it screw up my airport. I don't exactly have the funds to buy a new one.

This is really pissing me off because people have posted about this on the apple support forum and no one from apple has responded.

Update: Found another thread about this on the Apple support forum.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2688725&start=0&tstart=0

Someone there says to backup your settings, restore to factory defaults, and then import the settings again. Anyone know if this actually works and is safe? I don't want to waste my time reconfiguring the APE from memory if it fails.

Seems its 2007 APEs that are having this issue, mine included. Read somwhere else that the update was only for 2009 APEs and Time Capsules, hence why older models are having problems. What version of APE do you guys have?

Update 2: Airport Utility randomly decided to find older versions of firmware after I've been looking for them for almost an hour. Tried reverting to 7.4.2 and the APE is got stuck with an amber light. Pulling the plug was the only way to get it back on. Firmware is now at 7.4.2. Can now change settings without issue.