Downgrade from GM to iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hodor123, Sep 4, 2013.

1. hodor123 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have been using iOS 7 betas on my iPhone 4. AFAIK, downgrading from iOS 7 betas to iOS 6 is possible, I was just wondering if it is any different for the GM?

Basically, I would like to try the GM and if the performance takes a major hit in the GM, then downgrade to iOS 6. Is that possible?

2. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

I feel the same.

I want to try the GM then roll back to 6.1.4.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct timescale as I don't want to cripple my iPhone 5 permanently :)

3. g35 macrumors 6502a

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you should just make a backup of your iOS 6 before upgrading to GM. Install GM and see if you like it. If not, restore your phone in iTunes and when prompted choose the iOS 6 backup you made. This should work up until a couple of days after iOS 7's public release, at which point Apple will stop signing iOS 6 and you'll have to get iOS 7 no matter what if you want to restore.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's more or less it. The only thing that might be different is that Apple can stop signing iOS 6 even sooner than a couple of days after iOS 7's public release.

5. Pirate515 macrumors member

Well if Apple were to follow their own rules, then they have to stop signing iOS 6 as soon as they publicly release iOS 7. According to Apple, there's no "official" way to downgrade to a lower version of iOS, so as soon as iOS 7 is released to general public, they have to stop signing iOS 6 to prevent people from going back (except for 3GS users and below since they cannot get iOS 7).

I'm pretty sure that iOS 7 GM will leak to torrents soon after it hits the developer site; and those who don't have dev accounts who are "enterprising" enough should be able to get it. That is actually the perfect time to test it out for those considering going back to iOS 6, since iOS 6 will definitely still be signed until iOS 7 public release.