Downgrade from iOS 6 on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by lazerbrains, Sep 21, 2012.

1. lazerbrains macrumors regular

lazerbrains

I have upgraded to iOS6 on my standard iPhone 4. (not 4S) I am not interested in keeping it on iOS 6 becasue on the iPhone 4 it seems like more of a downgrade, than an upgrade. None of the enhancements work on the iPhone 4. No 3D maps, no Panorama on the Camera, and iTunes Match only partly works. etc. And on top of that my battery life has been cut in half.

I backed up before I upgraded thinking I could restore to the backup if I didn't like it, but apparently, iTunes overwrote my backup with a iOS6 backup during the installation process.

I am looking for a way to restore my iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 so I can have a more functional phone. Does anyone know how to restore the phone to iOS5?

2. Appl'd macrumors newbie

I've got some bad news for you buddy. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but you will never see native Google Maps, the old iTunes Match, your former camera app, or the other half of that battery life EVER again on your phone.

The only hope is if you're jailbroken and still have your 4.x and 5.x blobs. Otherwise you're stuck on iOS6 forever now. Even if it didn't preferentially overwrite your 5.1.1 backup it wouldn't do you any good anyway, only the apps and data would be restored into iOS6 from it. Your new iOS is forever. Kinda like herpes.

Agree that it's a downgrade for you. My gf almost allowed the update on my iPad 2, which would have rendered a number of my expensive music apps unusable and given up Google Maps for: no Passbook, no Flyover Apple maps, no Siri.

Gotta read those T&C's man, didn't SouthPark teach you anything? Apple is not a forgiving company on the OS upgrade front.

3. lazerbrains thread starter macrumors regular

lazerbrains

Thank yo so much for the ultimately depressing news. I appreciate you letting me know where I stand though. Although it sucks, I appreciate your honesty. I have never had a device that I couldn't just wipe out and start over if necessary, and at least revert back to the OS that came on it when I bought it. This update has taken the wind out of my sails. I even looked seriously at a new Android phone for a few moments. Life will not be the same, and i fear an update to fix the ills on the iPhone 4 is most likely not a high priority as they would rather force you into an upgrade path.

On a brighter note. I have learned my lesson and will be much more leery of new updates from Apple, and will become an update Curmudgeon, and will hold out as long as possible, or until I am sure it is safe.

Thanks again.

4. OSMac macrumors 65816

You can downgrade for a few days after a new release.

As far as I know Apple is still allowing it, if they are be quick.

You can find instructions on the net, basically just press shift and click update in iTunes, then select a copy of iOs 5.1.1 on your HD for the iphone .

You can download 5.1.1 from sites like felixburns.

Good luck.

5. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Even if you don't jailbreak, you should be saving your blobs with tinyumbrella every new iOS release for this reason alone.

On an iPhone 4, you'd be able to go back to 5.1.1 if you had your blobs.

6. lazerbrains thread starter macrumors regular

lazerbrains

I tried that already no luck. Says it isn't the right software for my device. But it was. I triple checked that it was for the GSM version of iPhone 4. But it doesn't work. Will definitely save my blobs in the future. If anyone knows if Apple is still signing let me know.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Except Apple is still selling the iPhone 4, I have a feeling they'll be fixing some of these issues.

8. OSMac, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

OSMac macrumors 65816

Just looked at felixbruns it seems they have 2 versions of 5.1.1 for the iPhone 4 GSM, did you try the newer 9B208 one?

Edit- seems a number report your issue, also read reports they have stopped signing 5.1.1.