iPad Downgrade from iOS 6b4

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Zo1db3rg, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Zo1db3rg macrumors newbie

I am trying to downgrade my iPad 2 from iOS 6b4 to iOS 5.1.1 but still keep my data, is there any way to do this. PS, the only reason I'm asking here is because Apple deleted my post on the developer forums, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

There's no way to do this unfortunately. Backups are not backwards compatible with previous iOS versions.

3. Zo1db3rg thread starter macrumors newbie

I was afraid of that, I think I already know the answer to this one, but is there any way to trick the backup into thinking it is for a different iOS?

4. solidsnake32292 macrumors regular

You can get your iOS6 Beta 4 back up back when iOS6 actually comes out next month.. but until then just use some main apps and things you need and then restore from the backup you had when it gets released soon!

5. ITGuy macrumors regular

That's not my experience. Try changing the version number in the info.plist file in the backup folder before you do the restore. I've done this previously to force my data from a new iOS version backup onto an older version of iOS with no issues, but your mileage may vary. Make a backup of your backup folder first.

-ITG

6. ITGuy macrumors regular

I've done it a few times previously with no ill effects, but never from iOS 6. Still, it may be worth a try. The info.plist file in the device backup folder has a Product Version field. Make a backup of the backup folder and use a plist editor to change the Product Version string to 5.1.1 and save the file.

Use this modified backup to restore your device. Good luck.

-ITG