Downgrade from iPhone OS 4.0 to iPhone OS 3.1.3

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hellhammer, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, my friend has a developer account and offered that he could activate my UDID if I want, but because I'm not a developer and iPhone is my only phone so I was wondering, am I able to downgrade back to 3.1 if I find 4.0 too buggy? If so, how can I do it? I assume I can restore it back to factory settings and then download the 3.1 and then transfer all my music and other files back, am I right?

2. xcrunner macrumors regular

At the moment, no because the beta upgrades the baseband of the phone (most important part) and you can't roll back the baseband and obviously 3.0 and below won't support the newer version.

3. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Okay, thanks! Decided not to upgrade as he would only add my UDID, not give access to his dev account so all updates must be downloaded from torrent sites and then restored so IMO pretty much work for unstable version. If I was able to downgrade, I may have tried it but as I can't, I won't

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

incorrect. i downgraded both my 3g and 3gs to 3.1.3 you need to jailbreak to reactivate tho. so you for the 3gs you will need your 3.1.2 on file cause you cant jailbreak 3.1.3 on a 3gs.

5. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't have it as I bought my iPhone in December and 3.1.3 was the current version back then. Anyway, too much hassle and I'm not willing to jailbreak mine yet, maybe when my warranty expires

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

jailbreaking doesn't make you loose your warranty. i brought my iphone to apple 2-3 times while jailbroken and they didnt care. and if they did just restore and your all good.

7. xcrunner macrumors regular

It worked on the newer baseband? Interesting. I might just have to score a developer account then.

8. adeedew macrumors regular

9. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

10. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

I have the same problem, I went to the link above but it would not work. Did you do anything different?

11. Shadow%20Mac macrumors demi-god

Downgrade from iPhone OS 4.0 to iPhone OS 3.1.3

There are several ways to do it, but this is by far the most effective and successful way.

I put this together rly quickly, lemme know if there are any mistakes. :D

Attached Files:

12. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

use iphone os 4 beta 2 and I want to downgrade back to the latest os 3

How may I do this using 3gs?

13. passionblue macrumors newbie

Problems downgrading from OS 4.0 Beta 1 to 3.1.3

Hi,

I am trying to downgrade my iPhone 3GS from OS 4.0 Beta 1 back to OS 3.1.3 using iRecovery/libUSB on windows 7 64-bit. I have the 3.1.3 firmware and I attempted to restore, but I got an error message (it was like error #13 or something, said it was an unknown error but the guides all said I'd get like error #1015 or something like that, though that might've been for mac). And then when I try to run iRecovery, it doesn't detect my iPhone.

The first time I installed libUSB-Win32 I didn't use compatibility mode, but I uninstalled it and reinstalled using Windows XP SP 2 in compatibility mode and running as administrator. I tried closing and re-opening iTunes

other information:

-I have the latest version of iTunes, just updated before trying this.
    -I used "libUSB-win32" the latest version, and it installed to Program Files (x86), I'm wondering if there's a 64-bit version or anything?

I can't think of anything else, I'm basically stuck in recovery mode right now, starting to freak out a little bit.

If anyone can help me, I will be extremely grateful!

Thank you in advance!

14. Woomy123 macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to downgrade from 4.0 back to any version of 3.0?

I upgraded to 4.0 and have become sick of it, and would like to downgrade, has anyone worked out how to downgrade from any of the betas yet?

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

@Woomy123: If you're a developer (I'm doubting you are, so you shouldn't have even upgraded) you can just use XCode to downgrade.

You can also see this thread, for one method using iRecovery to downgrade:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=905408 (ModNote: That's in this thread now, see post #11)

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I used this link maclife successfully to downgrade from os4 beta 3 to 3.1

17. thedge18 macrumors member

Once you downgrade, is it possible to restore your phone from a 4.0 backup???