Downgrade from Mavericks to ML HELP!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ncrouch, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ncrouch macrumors newbie

Alright so i shouldn't have installed the DP. buut i did. (I've installed iOS betas 4-7 with no problems). anyway i want to revert back to mountain lion, not because the os is buggy but a lot of my apps aren't compatible yet. (I'm on a new mba haswell).

ive made a bootable usb of Ml but every time i go to boot it by holding option key and selecting the usb, i get a prohibitory sign (circle with a slash) and the computer turns off after a min

ive gotten rid of the recovery partition for 10.9 but i still have the problem. I partitioned the hd and tried to install to that but it just says 10.8 can't be installed on this computer.

any help is appreciated!!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Did your machine come with 10.8? If so, you should be able to do internet recovery which is slow, especially for those of us on Comcast. :rolleyes:

Another option is to contact Apple for recovery assistance. Your machine sounds new enough to qualify for Applecare even under the 90 day free support option.

The next time you decide to install a DP OS, make sure it's not over Macintosh HD! :eek: Install it on an external drive or create a separate partition for it. When I was testing ML, I had a separate ML partition. When I test Mavericks, I use an external HDD.

3. ncrouch thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah! this is my first non-ios beta and needless to say lesson learned only a separate partition next time!

but how would i go about and internet recovery? (ill just leave it overnight)

4. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

5. lastcrime macrumors newbie

For internet recovery you have to be hard-lined to your internet connection, restart your computer hold down "n" it will do a net-boot follow instructions from there..

6. cbs20 macrumors member

You can't use a bootable USB you downloaded from the Mac App Store for Mountain Lion because the new Airs shipped with a special version of Mountain Lion. This special version of Mountain Lion isn't on the Mac App Store so technically your machine isn't compatible with the version on the Mac App Store.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did your machine come with ML? If so, follow this.

Do a command-option-r boot (all three keys at once). This will start Internet Recovery. Once you get the recovery screen up start Disk Utility and use it to erase the entire disk not just Macintosh HD. Do that by selecting the drive name at the top (like Seagate 750GB or whatever) and formatting to Mac OS Extended. Once that is done, quit Disk Util and click install OS. It will take some time as the entire 4,7GB OS needs to DL and install.

8. cookies! macrumors 6502

Ughhhh they'd better give us a free copy of Mavericks then

9. cbs20 macrumors member

Why would this deem a free copy of Mavericks? I can't see any reasoning with that. Plus you should be able to restore to Mountain Lion using Internet Recovery, but you will have to completely wipe your drive and then install.

10. cookies! macrumors 6502

cuz I want it and internet recovery is lame :rolleyes:

11. Spikestrip, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

Mavericks will have updated your recovery partition to 10.9 eliminating the option of using it to revert back to 10.8. The steps below should get your 10.9 Mac back to 10.8 and still have all your data. I am not responsible if anything goes wrong. This requires you to have had a backup from before installing Mavericks.

Step one: http://www.macworld.com/article/1167857/how_to_make_a_bootable_mountain_lion_install_drive.html

Step two: Boot from the drive you just made by rebooting holding the "option" key and selecting the drive you set up. Use Disk Utility to erase the internal drive (Macintosh HD unless you changed it), then quit Disk Utility.

Step three: Install Mountain Lion

Step four: Use Migration Assistant to move info back from your Time Machine backup. It will not work if you use a backup from Mavericks. You will need to pick a backup from before the Mavericks install.

12. ibarnett macrumors regular

ibarnett

Thanks

Thank you - saved my bacon!
    I ran into problems with Mail & my ISP which I couldn't resolve.
    I will try to return to 10.9 after I resolve these issues.