Downgrade From Mojave to El Capitan

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by jstolt, Mar 6, 2019.

1. jstolt macrumors newbie

I have installed Mojave, on my unsupport iMac 9.1. But now I want to downgrade again to the best supported system. The problem is that I don't have El Capitan under my Mac AppStore downloads because it was downloaded through another Apple ID that I don't have access to and I can't download it directly from the AppStore since Mojave doesn't allow me that. Otherwise I had El Capitan on a USB key, but got it overwritten with Mojave. Beautiful.

Does anyone have good advice on what to do?

2. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

One option: Reboot option key, then restore to origial osx that came with your imac via internets.
    I need to do the same thing for the umpteenth time soon!

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

OP has an iMac9,1, which is a 2009 iMac. Those do not support internet recovery --- too old.

4. jstolt thread starter macrumors newbie

5. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Create a bootable usb drive. Here’s the link for a full version of El Cap. And the second link is for directions. Good luck! https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

6. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Please, be aware that El Capitan is becoming more obsolete with every day.

If your Mac is having problems with Mojave, better try Sierra or High Sierra.

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

OP apparently wants to return to a supported system. The iMac9,1 does not natively support either Sierra or High Sierra, so El Capitan would be the maximum that the OP wants now.

8. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

El capitan rules!
    I run that on my macmini, mbair and 3 ipadpod running linux apps today!

9. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I have a 2015 13" MBP that had El Cap on it and all the time machine backups were from that, I rebooted with he time machine (WD Easy Store) USB plugged in and did the Cmd R I believe and went through the prompts of setting up or restoring from a Time Machine back up, took about 40 minutes but it works just fine. Did it twice with no hiccups at all.