Downgrade from OX El Capitanin a new Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omaro72, Dec 19, 2015.

1. omaro72 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I've bought a new MacBook pro and I'm interesting in installing in one partition a previous OS X version like Yosemite or Mevericks.
    Is it possible?

I also try to install Mavericks on Virtual Box using an iso file created with this guide:
    http://blog.frd.mn/install-os-x-10-10-yosemite-in-virtualbox/
    but it doesn't work. It stops immediatly at EFI prompt.

Thank you
    Omar

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Rule of thumb: you cannot install an earlier version of OS X than what was installed at purchase. Usually because earlier versions of OS X do not contain necessary drivers for the newest hardware. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The 2015 MacBook Pro was released with Yosemite, so 10.10 is supported for sure

4. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

That's what I was wondering – if the same hardware WAS released with Yosemite, why would it be impossible to install it? (My curiosity is purely theoretical, no need for me to check)

5. snaky69, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, but something as silly as the El Capitan install installing a new Boot ROM could render an install impossible.

Unless someone has specifically tried this, I wouldn't count on it being doable.

EDIT: A lot of people were doing it back in 2011 when the late 2011's came out with OS X Lion instead of Snow Leopard. As I recall, the install itself was easy, securing a 10.6.X disc that would boot was not. Retail copies (10.6.0) did not work and the grey discs of the previous machines did not either.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It surely is possible, but I can't see a single reason to downgrade to Yosemite.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

My new MacBook Pro 2015 bought in October shipped with 10.10 (10.11 was released just 5 days before the purchase). No new EFI was released since then.

8. omaro72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    As suggested the installation of Yosemite works fine.

Mavericks works only on virtual box.
    Thank you

9. Kevinsocal macrumors member

Kevinsocal

I really screwed up. I upgraded a mid-2015 rMPB from Yos to El Cap -- I mean, it made sense at the time. Then I discovered that El Cap is incompatible with ProTool's MBox3 interface. Avid still has not published a driver update. It could be a long time before they do - - - I can't run ProTools on my new MPB. AND SINCE I DID NOT DO A TIME MACHINE backup when I got my machine I would have to go through the really treacherous USB drive boot install. I don't know why Apple makes this so damn difficult. I miss the days of getting boot drives on DVD when we upgraded the OS.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple has never issued a Mac firmware update that locked out a previously installable version of OS X.
    There is no issue putting 10.10.5 on these computers.

11. Kevinsocal macrumors member

Kevinsocal

Oh, it can be done - sure - but making a boot drive and doing a correct install is not easy. Did Apple make it impossible - no. Did Apple intentionally make it a friggin' pain-in-the-ass - absolutely.

12. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have not needed to do this myself, but you should be able to use Internet Recovery (command+option+r at startup) to install the OS your Mac shipped with.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

13. Kevinsocal macrumors member

Kevinsocal

Thanks, Coastal - I will be trying that if AVID does not publish a new driver byJan. 1.
    BIG QUESTION - I have read that doing any kind of backwards install requires that the current hard drive be erased. I am not sure how to accomplish this without making a USB boot drive with Utilities on it - - - - and I don't think that El Capitan Disk Utilities comes with the option to zero format or write over drives anymore. I also have a SSD drive on the rMPB and I understand that wants to be treated differently that spin-up HD's.

14. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

As I said previously, boot into Internet Recovery and install your MBP's OS that it shipped with. I found these instructions using a google search:
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/14/reinstall-os-x-mac-internet-recovery/