Downgrade from Snow Leopard to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eric8199, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered. Got my Snow Leopard disk in the mail today, and am ready to install it on my MacBook Pro. However, I'm concerned with the compatibility with some things. I use my computer for work, and if certain things don't work anymore, then I don't want to install it just yet.

Is there a way to downgrade back to Leopard if I find that some of the things I need to do are incompatible? Without losing all of my stuff and having to do a fresh install?

Thanks in advance.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm pretty sure you'd have to do a clean install.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Use your install disks that came with your Mac. I'm not sure is it possible to do an "upgrade" from SL to Leopard, so you may have to do clean install. Get external HD for Time Machine and your files will be safe

4. celticpride678

Just do a clean install using the Leopard disc and it should install fine.

5. helix21 macrumors regular

1. Time machine your current leopard
    2. DONT time machine with snow leopard and then check the compatibility of your software
    3. Erase HDD
    4. Clean install from leopard disk provided with the mac
    5. Time machine restore

My hunch really

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

If you are that worried about incompatibilities, wait a few weeks.

Or, google the snow leopard compatibility list and see if what you need is there.

I would avoid upgrading if you use things like Maya that require lots of plugins, but for most apps like Office and Creative Suite you'll be fine.

And no, you can't downgrade --you'd have to reinstall fresh.

Edit: Or yes, you could backup your Leopard image first and then restore it should you want to go back, but you'll need a big enough hdd.

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Isn't the whole point of time machine so that you can restore to any point in time? Can you actually use time machine to restore to a previous time point? For example a previous Leopard time point, even with a more recent Snow Leopard save?

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes.

9. aa521490 macrumors regular

How about removing your hd from the macbook pro and replace it with a new one. Keep the old hd nearby and install SL on the new one.

10. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for your help. I've checked the compatibility list, but there are some things I use that aren't on there that are pretty essential. I do have an external hard drive that I back up to, I just won't backup after installing snow leopard until I know I'm good to go. And I may just wait a couple weeks, to be sure.

Thanks

11. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Apparently no. Or at least not directly. I had the misfortune of having my TM turned on to try to restore and it backed up instead. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to get my data back as I just did a clean install of 10.5 and the OS install won't allow a time machine backup to be used.
    Anyone have a good method for getting around this? I'm going to go ahead and create a user, then try migration assistant. I'll let you know if that works.

For those of you asking why would I downgrade? Oh, I don't know...how about a bunch of critical software is now broken and I can't get my work done as deadlines rapidly approach?

I know he just got over cancer and I really do like the rest of the products, but man I'd be tempted to give Steve a kick in the nuts right now!