Downgrade from Software Version 5

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by danandrews80, Mar 19, 2012.

1. danandrews80 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just purchased an apple TV 2, however, before I bought it it had been upgraded to the newest firmware. Is there any way that i can downgrade this, asi only bought it to put XBMC on it.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. You-Are-Pwned macrumors newbie

Connect it to a computer and fire up Tiny Umbrella.

If you have some blobs available, then you can have an untethered downgrade.

3. danandrews80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would the blobs be stored on the Apple TV. How would i check?

Thanks for your help.

4. You-Are-Pwned macrumors newbie

They will be stored on your Mac/PC, also kept on Cydia server, if I'm not mistaken. You can email them to yourself just to be sure:

Mac: ~/.shsh
    Windows: %USERPROFILE%\.shsh

5. danandrews80 thread starter macrumors newbie

The device has never been jailbroken or connected to my PC. I bought it 3 days ago from a friend and he had updated the firmware.

Is there a tutorial around for this? And can it definetely be done, if had not been jailbroken before.

Cheers

6. You-Are-Pwned macrumors newbie

Depends if blobs are still available. You would be lucky then. Just use Tiny Umbrella to fetch them, then uncheck "Request blobs from Cydia" and do the same thing again. If you have an older version on the list, you can downgrade.

But anyway, A4 chip is vulnerable on all firmwares, so I guess there will be a way to jailbreak it, just not right now.