Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j4jealousy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
AWWWWW!!!! My iPod has been pissin me off the last... couple days. And i've only had it for literally a couple of days!

First of all, the music stops everytime i go to Safari. That seems to be a common problem for everyone else who owns a "touch". Okay, no problem. I could go to Safari without music, ...right? Nope. It takes me to the menu. I encounter the same problem when i'm browsing in YouTube. Music isn't usually supposed to stop until the video starts, but that's not the case for me. So i'm like, "Okay then. Let's just watch a video anyways." And guess what happens next... the video plays for like 3 seconds and takes me to the menu. *sigh* Now just trying to simply listen to music takes me to the menu!

I'm seriously thinking about downgrading since i've heard so much about how people go through like 5 "touch"s and still go through the same problems. Man, i've been having so much bad luck with my favorite company's products lately. :(

Whatcha guys think? iPod classic?

isshou

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
My week 43 iPod Touch Jailbreaked (version 1.1) doesn't have any of those problems. I can be happily surfing while listening to my favorite music with not problems.

I would rather get it swap by another one, however if you already have chosen to exchange it by another iPod, basically I would take the new iPod based on the amount of music I normally hold in my iPod. Despite I have a 16GB iPT I rarely hold more than 6GB on the iPod as I tend to do a heavy use of Playlists .

Both have an excellent sound quality, speaking on mp3 player's terms, and unless you like to hold a lot of music on your iPod I would rather choose a flash based iPod.

If you can, try once with another iPT, and in any case I wish you good luck.

regards,
ro

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I do not own a Touch - I do own an iPhone.

One reason to "downgrade" is lack of buttons. What pulled me into the iPod was the easy of use and simplicity. I could click to forward / pause / reverse and control volume without even giving a glance at the iPod.

Not so simple with a touch-screen interface.

If you don't NEED internet, youtube or a snazzy looking display - and want to listen to music - I'd say go classic.

I sure wish my iphone had at least a number pad - it would be orders of magnitude more useful to me.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007

One reason to "downgrade" is lack of buttons. What pulled me into the iPod was the easy of use and simplicity. I could click to forward / pause / reverse and control volume without even giving a glance at the iPod.

If you don't NEED internet, youtube or a snazzy looking display - and want to listen to music - I'd say go classic.

I sure wish my iphone had at least a number pad - it would be orders of magnitude more useful to me.

Though really, why go Classic when a Nano really is all you need to listen to music. I think the iPod generation is very caught up in storing every song they own and shuffling through them when realistically, that is a fickle way to listen to music.

I do not enjoy having enough space for every song I own because I do not appreciate the temptation to constantly shuffle songs.

j4jealousy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
My week 43 iPod Touch Jailbreaked (version 1.1) doesn't have any of those problems. I can be happily surfing while listening to my favorite music with not problems.

Do u think Jailbreaking it can increase it's stability?

I know what u mean, man. I know what u mean. *sigh*

j4jealousy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Though really, why go Classic when a Nano really is all you need to listen to music. I think the iPod generation is very caught up in storing every song they own and shuffling through them when realistically, that is a fickle way to listen to music.

I do not enjoy having enough space for every song I own because I do not appreciate the temptation to constantly shuffle songs.

Dude, i was actually considering the Nano. I mean, it probably is the most logical choice of all the iPods right now. But then i'd be left with about $200 of store credit that i probably won't spend on anything that i need. So...

isshou

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Do u think Jailbreaking it can increase it's stability?

Well, not really.

I had the iPT going without Jailbreaking it for about 12 days, just to make myself sure if was ok and to avoid suspecting of Jailbreak if things didn't go well, aftewards I Jaibreak it and every thing continued ok.

I do hate the iPT not having any extra buttons for at least "pause" and "next" in fact I have submitted a request to Apple to alter slightly the way the "home" button behaves and add some extra functionality to it.

I also have submit a request for a "virtual iPod Classic" app, so you can handle your ipod with a single hand.

But I do get your point, in fact I still own most of my previous iPods as every one has its advantages and disadvantages. I even have upgrade my loved iPod mini to 16GB.

regards,
ro

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I know what u mean, man. I know what u mean. *sigh*

Sympathy points for you - the music freeze-ups during web is a problem for me with the iphone, too. Drove me nuts - then I stopped using the web when listening to music.

As for the user simplicity / ease of playback - I got an separate dock / charging station that has an IR port built in - and it came with the same remote that the imacs do. Works great, only issue is I need to buy another one for my car.

I WISH someone at Apple or elsewhere would have the "idea" to use the "proximity sensor" as an IR remote receiver. It's an IR LED and an IR Receiver side by side - when your head is close to the earpiece - it kills the display. (from the light reflecting off of your face) I don't think the touch has that. But it would be killer if they put it to use for something else...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I do hate the iPT not having any extra buttons for at least "pause" and "next" in fact I have submitted a request to Apple to alter slightly the way the "home" button behaves and add some extra functionality to it.

Double tapping home already provides this feature.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Im in the same boat as the OP here. Freezing, bad screens, bad audio. I went from an iPhone to an iPod touch and now to a nano. It sucks, but I personally am not going to settle for a device that is sub par. In the end though, it's a personal preference.

Quasiportnoy

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Have you tried restoring? I know this is obvious, but maybe if you do a hard restore (by holding down home and hold) it will put it into restore mode and completely wipe the device.

I think this would work better than restoring from backup, and maybe it's just a bad install of the software (don't know why it would be, but there's a chance).

Good luck with your problems.

Edit: By the way, I have a Jailbroken week 38, and it works nearly seamlessly. Any jumpiness is due to the jailbreak, I'm pretty sure.

j4jealousy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Have you tried restoring? I know this is obvious, but maybe if you do a hard restore (by holding down home and hold) it will put it into restore mode and completely wipe the device.

HEEEEEY! I'll try that! lol :D

I'm gonna test it out all day and let u guys know what happens. Thx for the advice!

j4jealousy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Well, since reseting my iPod i haven't encountered a problem with Safari or random trips to the menu so far! My iPod touch if FINALLY awesome!!!! Thank u guys so much for ur help! U guys saved me a trip to Best Buy too! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.