Downgrade from unibody to classic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Feb 16, 2009.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hi all. I'm considering downgrading from my 2.8 unibody unit to my old 2.6 Penryn. It hasn't been sold off yet, just sitting there, so money isn't a problem in the downgrade. I'm downgrading mostly because of design (I prefer the old one) What do you all think?

2. mac-menace macrumors newbie

what is it about the design that's making you want to downgrade?

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What are your needs/reasons?

We can't help you rationalize the decision you already made until you tell us more.

4. efedor macrumors regular

I think before we ask you for a copy of a current psyc eval result sheet, we need to know.... why?

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

6. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I kind of prefer the old design, really, looking at it. Personally I don't feel that I will be taking that much of a performance hit on the whole either. It's just that I prefer the "it" factor of the old one.

7. efedor macrumors regular

8. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I can chime in here, I like the keyboard and matte screen better on the old model.

9. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Matters of personal preference aside, if it's going to make you happier to have the classic, then by all means, use the classic. Your returning the unibody may be responsible for one more in the refurb store.

:D

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't have much experience with the new Unibody keyboard besides using them in the store and comparing it to my slim Alu keyboard at home. But I have to agree here, I do prefer the old Pro keyboard, does feel much better!!

The only thing that bothers me on the aluminium models are the tiny cracks between the metal and the plastic., it's not perfect! lol

11. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

You need to seek help...

The multi-touch capabilities alone make the new MBP the only choice.

12. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I wouldn't go back just because of the new glass trackpad. That thing is amazing!

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

For some people (including me) the hardware based multi-touch features are freakin' annoying!!

14. Intense macrumors regular

Aren't you going to miss the speed of the SSD ?

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

It just really bugs me how hard you have to push to get a the pad to click. I dont use the tap click b/c i run reason in a sound booth sometimes, and dont want to accidentally miss click which would definitely happen. Dragging is annoying. And i still dont see how the unibody is "stronger" its easier to flex the unibody than the prev generation MBP

16. kousuke18 macrumors regular

The early 08 mbps have multi-touch too.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Are you implying users can't install SSD in the older machines? :confused:

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you like the old one better, why not? After all, we're not going to be using the machine. I'd hardly call going from 2.8 to 2.6 a downgrade.

Just out of curiosity, what will you be doing with the new machine? Is it within the 14 day window? Will you return it and take the 10% restocking hit? Selling it, or what?

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I kind of did the same i went from a unibody macbook 2.4 to a classic MBP 2.6 and i have no regrets. Although that was primarily because i hated the MacBook screens. The old one looks better design wise...it looks like a proper mac. The new ones IMO look like HP laptops (something my friends all concur with)

Also my 2.6 MBP is much faster than my previous unibody. I think the performance hit you get from the downgrade will be negligible...only 200MHz. If Apple had used the MBA design in the unibodies i.e. without the black bezel and provided a matte option then i would love them but as it stands...not really a fan and have just bought AppleCare (first time ever) as i intend to keep this machine for as long as i can

Also the early 08 has multitouch and can even be modified to allow 4 finger gestures as i did with mine as shown below. And you save a lot of money as well by downgrading. Good luck with whatever you decide

Attached Files:

20. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

dont the older ones have something wrong with the graphics cards?