Downgrade iOS 5 Beta 5 to 4.3.5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loves2spoon, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I'm on a mac using iTunes beta 5 and an iPhone 4 on iOS 5 Beta 5.

Would like to go back to 4.3.5 - Any suggestions?

2. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Yup, back up, go to dfu mode, and restore. Simple as that, i don't know why some people seem to have problems but I've never once had a problem when i do it in DFU mode. Also, i have read that you need to downgrade iTunes, I've not had to do that once. I am using the same beta iTunes that i have to use to upgrade with, also to downgrade with.

3. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I have my iPhone and iPad in DFU mode and downgraded to iTunes 10.4 - I'm still getting the "this device isn't eligible for the requested build"

4. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Got it to work by deleting the last night in the "host" file in the /private/etc folder - :D

w00h00

5. eddiecruz, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

eddiecruz macrumors newbie

Was trying to restore back to 4.3.5 as well..keep coming across the same issues. Same version of iOS 5 and iTunes.

How do you delete it?

6. benfica88 macrumors regular

Are you able to restore from your backup of IOS5 or do you have to start new?

7. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I've not been able to restore back from iOS 5 beta to iOS 4.3.5 using the beta release of iTunes, so I just boot into Snow Leopard on my other partition and use iTunes 10.4 on there and using DFU mode, it restores no problem.

8. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Can i downgrade the Verizon Iphone from Beta 5 back to 4.x.x?

9. benfica88 macrumors regular

Since everyone has to use iTunes 10.4, I'm guessing no, you can't restore from backup as iTunes 10.5 alters the backup correct?

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

This worked for me. Even though the versions are slightly older I don't see why it won't work.

I backed up my phone before installing beta 3 and ultimately updated to beta 4....but here's what I did.
    Uninstalled iTunes 10.5. Then went to the Apple site and downloaded the public version of iTunes that is available right now. Once installed, that version of iTunes had all my songs already in it and was exactly as iTunes 10.5 was, so no frustrations there. Then I plugged in my phone (which was running beta 4) and iTunes pops up a warning saying that the phone requires iTunes 10.5. I put my phone in DFU mode at which time iTunes says it must be restored. I restored it, iTunes put on 4.3.4, I then restored from my backup, and now my phone is just as it was before.

11. eddiecruz macrumors newbie

I have tried pretty much everything else everyone has mentioned.

I am running Lion on my main Mac (which I haven't had any luck being able to downgrade to 10.4 on) and have SL loaded on another Mac which is running iTunes 10.4 and no luck.

The only result that I am able to end up with is restoring to iOS 5 beta 4 to a backup from 2 weeks ago.

This doesn't exactly work for me the best because the reason I want to restore is to have a fully functioning non buggy phone.

12. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have successfully downgraded a Verizon iPhone multiple times. I have never had to downgrade iTunes, never had any trouble. I'm really unsure that there is actually any reason that anyone is having huge problems, just seems to be sporadic. I've downgraded 3 different ip4's multiple times. Mine,wifes, best friends. I find it odd that ppl follow the same steps as me and it doesn't work. I have gotten errors a few times but never anything I couldn't restore if I just kept trying. I always end up restoring a backup from 4.x as well. Odd for sure

13. eddiecruz macrumors newbie

I was finally able to restore by following these steps:

- Download the current version of iOS from Apple (4.3.5) and save to desktop
    - Launch iTunes (10.4) and connect your iPhone (iOS 5 beta).
    - Turn off the iPhone by pressing and holding the sleep button and sliding to power off.
    - When the iPhone turns off completely, press and hold the sleep and home button for 10 seconds. Stuff appears on the iPhone's screen, but keep doing it.
    - Release the power button and keep the home button pressed. Your iPhone screen will be completely black.
    - Option click Restore in iTunes then select iOS 4.3.5

I got it stuck in recovery mode a couple times and used Tiny Umbrella to kick it
    out.

You may need to try these steps a couple times to get it right which I had to do, but it finally worked.

14. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Thanks Eddie. Trying those steps in a few minutes. Only thing I haven't used is tiny umbrella.

15. saudsaif macrumors newbie

Dear eddiecruz,
    Many Many thanks, I was trying many other procedures but without lock.
    When I tried your steps as it, it works :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Again thank you very much.

16. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

Didn't work for me.

When I run the TSS server, I get iTunes error 2005.

When I do not run the TSS server, I get "The iPhone 'iPhone' cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."