Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyw87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Hey, I upgraded to IOS 6.1 yesterday but I want to downgrade it again, does anyone know how?

I did a backup before I upgraded and thought if I just restored it from there, it would go back to ios 6.0.1 but for some strange/annoying reason it has restored everything but kept it as ios 6.1. :mad:

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
You need the 6.0.1 version of the IPSW file. That file is NOT produced by an update of iOS nor by normal backups. It sounds like you don't have that file so mostly the answer is you cannot downgrade.

Edge

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
You need the 6.0.1 version of the IPSW file. That file is NOT produced by an update of iOS nor by normal backups. It sounds like you don't have that file so mostly the answer is you cannot downgrade.

That's incorrect.

The .ipsw files are freely available from the Apple site (with the correct links).

In order to downgrade, either Apple needs to still be signing the secure hash (SHSH) blobs for the install to succeed, or you need to have saved your blobs earlier and use third-party software to downgrade.

Edit: according to Xenomorph, Apple is no longer signing the SHSH blobs for 6.0.1

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I am curious what you dont like about 6.1? it seems there are many improvements and i have not seen one thing i dont like.

tonyw87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for all the replies.

I have already downloaded the ios 6.0.1 but when I try to restore using iTunes, I get an error.

What is it meant by apple signing updates?

Also, what is a blob?

The reason I wan't to downgrade is because I am doing a university experiment and need to use the network sniffer Pirni Pro which is not available for ios 6.1 :confused:

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
If you don't know what a blob is, then I can almost guarantee you can't downgrade.

He is right. Even if you did know what a blob was you probably still wouldn't be able to downgrade. There's just no going back now that Apple quit signing the software. Sorry dude.

Frankie Figs

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
He is right. Even if you did know what a blob was you probably still wouldn't be able to downgrade. There's just no going back now that Apple quit signing the software. Sorry dude.

Are you saying that even with blobs I won't be able to downgrade? I have blobs & I can't seem to get 6.0.1 to work right. I'm either on 5.1.1 or 6.1, nothing else. Any insight?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Are you saying that even with blobs I won't be able to downgrade? I have blobs & I can't seem to get 6.0.1 to work right. I'm either on 5.1.1 or 6.1, nothing else. Any insight?

Google "Caching Apple's Signature Server"
Read the article by Jay Freeman (Saurik)

It is how Apple authenticates iOS firmware.
Once Apple stops signing (authenticates for install) a firmware version, it can only be reinstalled if SHSH were saved (and only for some iDevices).

Frankie Figs

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Google "Caching Apple's Signature Server"
Read the article by Jay Freeman (Saurik)

It is how Apple authenticates iOS firmware.
Once Apple stops signing (authenticates for install) a firmware version, it can only be reinstalled if SHSH were saved (and only for some iDevices).

I'm familiar with downgrading & whatnot. I tried to stitch the 6.0.1 IPSW with the blobs but the only way to do that is with iFaith cuz Redsn0w doesn't recognize 6.0.1. iFaith automatically makes it a DFU IPSW so anytime the phone boots up, it's in soft DFU mode & on top of that, it had no cell service. I successfully downgraded to 5.1.1 but I want to be on 6.0.1.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.