Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zack Magee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Hi!
I had iOS6 installed on my iPhone 4s. I wanted to downgrade to iOS 5.1.1. I downgraded, but when I attempted to modify the info.plist to make my ios6 backup compatable with ios 5.1.1, it said it could not restore from back up because it is corrupted or not compatable.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
DFU mode, google it, and restore in iTunes will always take you back to the latest public release. In this case, 5.1.1.

You cannot load a backup from a newer version into an older version. There would be new fields, data structures, etc that the old OS doesn't know how to process.

Zack Magee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
DFU mode, google it, and restore in iTunes will always take you back to the latest public release. In this case, 5.1.1.

You cannot load a backup from a newer version into an older version. There would be new fields, data structures, etc that the old OS doesn't know how to process.

Hi.

Yeah, I already got the phone restored (I may be a noob to the forum, but I'm no noob ;) ).

Bummer! I know it's possible for 5.1 > 5.0, I was hoping it would be possible for 6 > 5.

Edit: if it helps, I am jailbroken.

hamkir

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Will downgrading from iOS 6 GM to 5.1.1 still be possible after iOS 6 is made available to the public? To specify I'm referring to the process on a phone that is not jailbroken or anything like that.

I would like to put iOS 6 on my 4S to play with it before I get my 5 on Friday. However I would like to be able to go back to 5.1.1, I figure the 4S will be more attractive when I sell it if it has 5.1.1 which can be jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.