Downgrade iOS 8.2 Beta to iOS 8.1.2 without losing anything?!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by maik005, Jan 24, 2015.

1. maik005 macrumors member

Hey,

just tried to Downgrade from iOS 8.2 Beta 4 to iOS 8.1.2.

I used the Update Firmware Feature in iTunes and selected the iOS 8.1.2 IPSW.

App and Photos are there. But all my SMS/MMS/iMessages have gone.

Is it possible to keep everything or can I only stay at 8.2 Beta and wait for the final?

thanks,
    maik005

2. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

4. supersmart07 macrumors newbie

Simply backup you device in iTunes first. Then go to the directory of the iTunes backups.(Google for their locations) There will be folders with names of random numbers and letters. Open your current backup folder(usually the latest one, use date to check). Use a plist editor to edit the info.plist file. In the file there will be somewhere(I forgot)that says 8.2 and the firmware number. Replace them with the 8.1.2 ones. Lastly restore in itunes and restore from your backup. Hope this helps!

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Word is that does not work for 8.2 b anymore. Several posts regarding this state this no longer is an option. I cant say for 100% myself but just what I have read.

6. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Off Topic, Can i ask why you wish to downgrade? Today i'm toying with the idea of trying 8.2 Beta 4

7. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Facebook is mostly broken on ios 8.2

8. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

HA Facebook is mostly broken period :) Have you tried using the mobile web version or Paper? Either may work better for you.

9. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

I've used paper once before not really what I use Facebook for

10. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

ah ok. So maybe web version. Teamviewer was also broken on 8.2 just released an update today to work with 8.2. Maybe Facebook will follow suit and update soon.

11. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Facebook updates regularly twice a month so at somepoint they will have to especially if releases 8.2 out of the blue to public there will be about a billion pissed off people

12. gregsapphire macrumors member

I tried down grading to 8.1.3 from 8.2 and lost all my messages history. It still showed that my messages were taking up a lot of space on my device but everything was erased from the messages app. After trying many things and having lost of problems with trying to fix the issue I am back to 8.2 and all the issues I have with it. Really hope beta 5 comes out soon because each day I'm noticing more issues.

13. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

This is indeed the case. I've tried several times both doing option+restore and option+update.

I was so used to being able to go back and forth between beta and stable from previous versions of iOS. I probably would have stayed on stable if I knew I couldn't go back.

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

You can try iBackupbot if you want to move texts from one backup to another.

15. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I thought this would work but it's the same as the other methods -- You end up with a clean install with no messages in the Messages.app despite having a lot of data in Messages.app under the Storage settings.

I think the only thing we can do is wait until 8.2 is officially released. I definitely won't be trying beta software after this.

16. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Wow... who would use beta operating systems on their main device? Issues like these are to be expected. Beta iOS versions are meant to be tested on devices used for testing.

17. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Obviously... Except I've been running beta software on my phone for 3 years without a hitch. If I ever had a problem that was unbearable, I would just do a backup, install stable iOS, edit the plist and restore. Was never an issue before iOS 8.2, not even with iOS 8 itself.

Don't lecture adults who have chosen to install beta software on phones *they* paid for, it's extremely condescending. Besides, the bugs I'm experiencing are small. I just wanna go back to 8.1.3 because it was an update designed specifically to fix many bugs and many users reported that it was very smooth.

18. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Sure, I absolutely agree with you. Sorry about that. The post was not targeted to you, it is for people such as the first three posters on this thread.

19. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The instructions are very specific for messages only, I restored some messages from an 8.0 beta backup to 8.1 which I lost while downgrading my phone back to 7. I merged the messages from a new backup with the old one and I kept my newer app data. You could try searching Google for instructions. Of course it might not work if you try to go to an older version.

20. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I did find and follow instructions online to restore just messages, it doesn't work with iOS 8.2. Seems like everything that worked for pervious iOS versions doesn't apply to iOS 8.2. Unless anyone has been successful trying any of this with iOS 8.2, I'm gonna assume it no longer works.

21. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Facebook got another update a few days ago. Did this fix any issues you have in 8.2

22. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

No it made it worse