Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davwills01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Bridgend, South Wales
Hi all,
I have an old Apple Watch that I would like to use just as a notification thing, nothing too strenuous so I don't really mind about the speed of it. When I went to pair it with my iPhone 7 running IOS 13.5, it wouldn't pair.
After a bit of research, I found out it was because IOS 13.5 doesn't pair with the old WatchOS anymore so I can't even update it. Would I be able to downgrade my iPhone to IOS 12.4 to allow me to pair with the Watch and update it so I can then reinstall 13.5 and pair with the watch?

Many thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
At this point, I doubt you have many options. Jailbreaking your iPhone 7 and see how it goes maybe? But that’s a big gamble either. A better solution could be getting an iPhone 6 or 5s of some sort and update watchOS using that phone before pairing with your iPhone 7.

Davwills01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Bridgend, South Wales
At this point, I doubt you have many options. Jailbreaking your iPhone 7 and see how it goes maybe? But that’s a big gamble either. A better solution could be getting an iPhone 6 or 5s of some sort and update watchOS using that phone before pairing with your iPhone 7.
Okay, so if I was to jailbreak the iPhone on 13.5, I would be able to update the Watch easier? I don’t have an iPhone 6 or lower around to be able to use so that’s out of the question I think

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Okay, so if I was to jailbreak the iPhone on 13.5, I would be able to update the Watch easier? I don’t have an iPhone 6 or lower around to be able to use so that’s out of the question I think
I don’t know. After a full iTunes backup you can give it a shot.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Jailbreaking won't allow you to downgrade the installed version of iOS, so your only option is to find someone with an older phone.

Davwills01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Bridgend, South Wales
Jailbreaking won't allow you to downgrade the installed version of iOS, so your only option is to find someone with an older phone.
If I downgrade my iOS through iTunes onto my iPhone, will that allow me to connect using iOS 12.4? I can then update back to 13.5 after the watch has updated?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If I downgrade my iOS through iTunes onto my iPhone, will that allow me to connect using iOS 12.4? I can then update back to 13.5 after the watch has updated?
You can't downgrade to any version of iOS that isn't signed, and right now Apple is only signing 13.5.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looks like you need an iPhone running iOS 12 (any iPhone 5s or 6) to upgrade the version of WatchOS on your AW to the latest version and then everything should work. Not the greatest or easiest fix! I think Apple didn't really think this one through...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I think Apple didn't really think this one through...
Apple doesn’t have a good track record of covering edge use cases like this one, and they are the one if not the only company that explicitly demand users using nothing but the latest software and dismiss software compatibility.

Lubidubi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
Hi all,
I have an old Apple Watch that I would like to use just as a notification thing, nothing too strenuous so I don't really mind about the speed of it. When I went to pair it with my iPhone 7 running IOS 13.5, it wouldn't pair.
After a bit of research, I found out it was because IOS 13.5 doesn't pair with the old WatchOS anymore so I can't even update it. Would I be able to downgrade my iPhone to IOS 12.4 to allow me to pair with the Watch and update it so I can then reinstall 13.5 and pair with the watch?

Many thanks
call apple, explain that you have an old watchos version on your watch which won’t pair and they will set up a free „repair“. They collect your watch and update it to the latest possible os. 4.3.2 for a series 0.
had a series 0 on watchos 2 with the same problem. Got it updated for free.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Buy an old iPhone 6 off of ebay that is running ios 12 or older. Update your watch and sell the iphone. You’ll probably get all of your money back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.