Downgrade iOS

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wd89, May 17, 2011.

1. wd89 macrumors member

I'm well aware of the many threads asking how to go from iOS 4 to 3 or 3.1.2 to 3.1.1 or whatever but I was wondering if I could go from 3.1.3 to 1.X.X?

I ask because i have an iPod touch 1g and have just put it into my iPod Hi-Fi and noticed a few bugs with controlling the volume amongst other things which I never encountered with v1 years ago. I don't use the App Store or the iTunes store or any features that v2 or v3 gave me so would not miss these features.

Is this possible?

2. ilikecorn500 macrumors member

ilikecorn500

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As far as I know, you can do this. Go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and select your device and software to download. After you download, go to iTunes and backup your device. Then, click on your iPod in the sidebar and while holding down option (Mac) or shift (Windows), click restore. You can find out more about restoring by googling it. Then select the location of the software you downloaded.

3. wd89 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'll give it a try. I'm hoping that reverting back to iOS 1 will also stop my battery from cutting out after 5 minutes of being unplugged. It's currently not portable which is why it has ended up back in my hi-fi :eek:

4. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I don't think it can work if you didn't jailbreak your iPod before, because downgrade ios need shsh.:eek:

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It will work, you don't need SHSH's for 1st gen devices AFAIK.

6. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

It's not an iPod touch first gen if it's running iOS 4.0. The highest supported for these devices is 3.x I believe.

Edit: oops misread the original post

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Ignore anything about SHSH, your device doesn't utilise them.

Downgrading from 3.1.3 is tricky, here's my experiences on an iPhone 2G (should be similar on 1st gen iPod).