Downgrade iPad2 iOS5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nickbarbs, Jun 7, 2011.

1. nickbarbs macrumors regular

Hey Guys

Got my UDID authorized and I'm ready to try out iOS 5.

Just wondering if i find some game breaking problem - can I downgrade my iPad2 using backups from Tiny Umbrella SHS blobs or whatever?

I have also read that the baseband is encrypted and once upgraded to 5.0 there is no way, even with DFU mode, to restore the ipad 2 to 4.x

Just wanted to get the final word on that as I see some of you have taken the plunge.

Thanks!

2. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

From everything I've read, there is no way to downgrade.

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

If it's the wifi one you can just alt-click on 'restore' in itunes, then pick the older firmware (I did this last night, zero problems).

If it's 3G, you could try that but yeah it could have upgraded the baseband.. in which case you might be stuck with 5.

And yes, there are problems with going to 5. First, it's a beta OS, meaning it has all kinds of glitches and bugs. Fun to have a quick look at, not so much fun to use, unless you're targeting OS5 features or want to compatibility test. Second, you have to upgrade to the beta SDK. Also not much fun, unless you need it.

That put me right off, but it was fun playing with it for a while. I've now got iOS5 on my iphone 3gs, as I have that for dev only. It's staying off the devices I use until I'm ready to start building OS5 features into my apps. And I'm staying well clear of the beta SDK for as long as necessary ;)

4. nickbarbs thread starter macrumors regular

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

I installed iOS5 on my iPad2 (WiFi only) and when I found I could not connect to the AppStore using my AppleID and password, I put the iPad2 into DFU mode and went back to 4.3.3.

6. elan123 macrumors 6502

Look at the threads around you, friend, don't do it!!!

7. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

As long as you have an SHSH blob saved in tiny umbrella for your ipad 2, you can restore. Here's how I did it:

I have 4.3.3 (no SHSH saved). I only have 4.3 SHSH blobs saved. I installed iOS 5.0 and then I decided to downgrade because beta 1 is not worth the hassle. I use tinyumbrella, start up TSS Server, DFU my iPad 2 and then install iOS 4.3. NOT 4.3.3.

After 4.3 is installed, I just stop TSS server, quit tinyumbrella, then in itunes, hit the restore button (without holding options-restore). It successfully gave me 4.3.3 back.

But if you have NONE of the iOS 4.3 SHSH's saved, you can't downgrade from iOS 5.0 beta

8. manuelgf macrumors newbie

I've just downgrade my iPad 2 (3G model) from iOS 5 to iOS 4.3.3 without problems. ...successfully downgraded to a 4.3.3 backup using alt-click on restore buttom.

My baseband is 04.10.01 and the iPad 2 work fine.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

Did you need your SHSH saved?

Mel

10. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I didn't have mine saved and I've tried just about every possible method to downgrade and have met with failure each time.

11. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I went back to 4.3.3 from ios5 due to some issues with my iPad. I have no shsh saved nor it is jail broken. I do have a developer account. All I did was alt-restore and it did without a hitch.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

You never stated what kind of iPad it is, is it wifi only?
    If so, it's very easy to downgrade with no blobs saved. Locate the 4.3.3 software on your mac/pc and move it to your desktop. Then plug in the iPad with iTunes open, hold alt (or shift for windows users) and select this software file on your desktop. Then let it restore, no issues whatsoever.
    One thing, you need to have a 4.3.3 backup to be able to restore from backup after the initial restore it finished (to get all your saved data from apps etc..)
    If you backed up whilst on 5.0 and it overrite your 4.3.3 backup then obviously this backup is associated with 5.0 and you will get an error trying to use it with an "older" software version.
    If you have a 3G iPad, I am not sure if it works,,,,you ll need to hear from a 3G owner. Good luck

13. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

Just downgraded to 4.3.3 on a verizon ipad 2... I had an issue with OS 5, I couldn't type my credit card to activate my verizon data plan without it clearing. I was able to downgrade, activate my data plan. Then restore back to iOS 5. No shsh needed...

14. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I've tried that, and it always says that "your device is not eligible for this software package" or something like that.

15. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

Question:

Those of you that have successfully downgraded from iOS 5 to iOS 4.3.3 on the iPad 2 through iTunes and DFU mode, did you do so using the iTunes 10.5 beta or the latest public release of iTunes (10.3 or whatever is newest)?

16. aleni macrumors 68020

so for you downgraders, what's the most annoying bug that made u downgrade?

because im really tempted to try iOS5 because of the split up keyboard.

17. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

My reasons for wanting to downgrade:

1) Netflix doesn't work
    2) Safari loses my typed in URL history
    3) Half of the time, streaming music from an iTunes Music Library doesn't work, and the album art is all screwed up
    4) Random Safari crashes

18. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

For me it was Safari not loading websites with regular success. And Calendar kept crashing on me. And the Smart Cover-induced deep deep sleep that requires a restart to get the iPad back in working order. The battery drains super fast also. I thought iMessage would be cool, but with no one to use it with, it's not (obviously).

And I didn't want to upgrade to iTunes 10.5 to sync because I heard it was buggy.

Overall I just didn't think the general bugginess was worth sacrificing the stability of 4.3.3. With that being said, iOS 5 is pretty stable, probably more so than the current public build of Honeycomb, but just wasn't worth it for me.

19. RayK macrumors 6502

I was successful in downgrading my iPhone 4 from 5.0 to 4.3.3. Very quick battery drain is a big issue with the beta. I would wait if I were you.

20. jfinli macrumors newbie

I can't type in my credit card info to activate my data on my At&t iPad. Where it asks for the credit card number it only takes 4 numbers and puts a comma in. Its very weird. Is there a way I can downgrade. I am not sure how.