Downgrade iPhone 3G to iOS 3, then unlock and jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ohla313, Jul 25, 2010.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Hi I am trying to increase the resale value for my 8GB iPhone 3G and was wondering how I would go about downgrading from iOS 4 to iOS 3 or 3.1.3, whichever is more obtainable.

I found an article on LifeHacker in regards to downgrading: http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

But that requires me to restore from a backup, and I am just trying to set it to iOS 3 and making it blank so the new user can set it up to their liking. I have never unlocked or jailbroken an iPhone so if there was so thorough guide can someone please point me in the right direction?

Is it possible to downgrade to iOS 3 from iOS 4 on the iPHone 3G and then to jailbreak it? WHich jailbreak would I use and would it be better to do all this on a Mac or PC?

Thanks for reading my post!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

A 3G can be restored to 3.1.x firmware without problems, download the desired IPSW, put phone in recovery mode and direct iTunes to IPSW you downloaded. You might need RecBoot or TinyUmbrella to kick phone out of Recovery mode when it completes.
    Then jailbreak with Redsn0w, unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    iClarified for a tutorial

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Where would I find the IPSW for bringing the iPhone to 3.1.3? Is it in my iTunes folder somewhere?

4. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

5. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

thank you also do I need a Sim card for this? I already removed my iPhone data plan so I am worried if I put it in, ATT will add it on automatically when I restore.

6. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

you'd think a forum filled with so many people who jailbreak and unlock their phones, someone would know if I need a sim card at all for this process!

Do I need a Sim card to downgrade, jailbreak, and unlock??

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You would think everyone on the internet would know how to search by now. I think they need to make a mandatory class in school search engines 101. Of course they have to start it early like preschool.

Go look up hacktivating and take your attitude with ya.

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^^This.

9. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

wow people here are really tightly wound aren't they? That comment wasn't at all in a malicious tone, I was saying it playfully...

Looked up hactivation thanks! Man the process gets harder and harder..Is this preferable on a PC or Mac?

10. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

its able to be done on both.

I have a mac...it seems, to me, to be easier on a mac for all iphone stuff.

11. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I am a bit confused with Hacktivating, how do I go about doing this? I checked online and couldn't find much comprehensive guides. Thanks!